Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This cartridge belt was made with a 4-1/2" wide x 38-1/2" long heavy piece of leather, with 1-7/16" wide sewn-on billets. One billet is the tongue with five holes for size adjustment. The other is fitted with a nickel-plated steel "H" shaped buckle. On the buckle end of the billet is stamped within oval "H. H. Heiser / Maker / Denver, Colo.". Above that oval is stamped "80" (or "38"?). Near the top and bottom of this 4-1/2" belt are two rows of 3/4" wide cartridge loops, with each row capable of holding 30 cartridges. Above each row is stamped "38" (for caliber). All leather is a dark brown color.

Based on the vertical positions of the cartridge loops, this belt must have been made for pistol cartridges. But why so much space in between?

My questions are — “What was the intended purpose of this unusually-wide cartridge belt”? Also “Do any of the Heiser catalogs list such a belt and state its intended purpose”?

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Combo gun belt/kidney belt? I have seen old timey pictures of I think Texas Rangers using them.
The Texas Ranger images you've seen show the Scout belt; which is a 6" wide length of chap leather that has been folded into a money belt; so just 3" wide as-stitched.

The OP's belt is this one, made of a single thickness of cowhide. Notice that the holster is lined with, I expect, a thin calfskin; so lined holsters are far from 'new':

sets (3).jpg sets (3)a.jpg

23 heiser 1929 (10).jpg Catalog No. 23 is for 1929.

The text says it has two rows of loops for 30 cartridges each. I do believe it says 6-1/2" wide. The belt below it we know as the Scout belt and the two pics are not to scale; the lower one is quite narrow by comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I have an old Frazier money belt and holster that is 4" wide folded (so 8" unfolded), with dbl loops on the sides and single rifle loops on the back.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Texas Ranger images you've seen show the Scout belt; which is a 6" wide length of chap leather that has been folded into a money belt; so just 3" wide as-stitched.

The OP's belt is this one, made of a single thickness of cowhide. Notice that the holster is lined with, I expect, a thin calfskin; so lined holsters are far from 'new':

View attachment 659287 View attachment 659289

View attachment 659291 Catalog No. 23 is for 1929.

The text says it has two rows of loops for 30 cartridges each. I do believe it says 6-1/2" wide. The belt below it we know as the Scout belt and the two pics are not to scale; the lower one is quite narrow by comparison.
Red,

You have nailed this Heiser product exactly! The page from a 1929 Heiser catalog is small, but when I enlarge slightly and enhance, it looks like 4-1/2" wide. What I cannot decipher is the "No." for the "smooth plain finish" option priced at $9.00 (my belt).

Can you make your page image larger, so this can be read?

Those are very interesting pictures of the "Full Mexican Carved" version of this belt (cat. price $12.50) with a great Carved Heiser double loop holster readily installed. So the belt may look wide, but not too wide for a high grade Heiser Holster!

Many thanks, you are the expert on Heiser.

victorio1sw

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an old Frazier money belt and holster that is 4" wide folded (so 8" unfolded), with dbl loops on the sides and single rifle loops on the back.
Have Belt...4" wide folded (so 8" unfolded), with dbl loops on the sides and single rifle loops on the back. That would be a great belt to have. Some call this type a "Scout Belt". I like it!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Red,

You have nailed this Heiser product exactly! The page from a 1929 Heiser catalog is small, but when I enlarge slightly and enhance, it looks like 4-1/2" wide. What I cannot decipher is the "No." for the "smooth plain finish" option priced at $9.00 (my belt).

Can you make your page image larger, so this can be read?

Those are very interesting pictures of the "Full Mexican Carved" version of this belt (cat. price $12.50) with a great Carved Heiser double loop holster readily installed. So the belt may look wide, but not too wide for a high grade Heiser Holster!

Many thanks, you are the expert on Heiser.

victorio1sw
Not the expert on Heiser :). What I know I learned from turnerriver and I simply have more time and obsession to post than the does! John has a life :).

How about a better picture instead? This one is from the later No 32 catalog of 1939:

no. 32 1939.PNG

There it says the belt is No 80 plain, No 81 basket, No 82 carved. And before anyone gets too excited about the prices shown, keep in mind that a new Colt SAA was only $15 in, for example, 1916. And inflation was very low then especially by 1939 (America had just recovered from the Great Depression, only to have WWII declared in Europe), so the price wouldn't have been much higher in '39.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not the expert on Heiser :). What I know I learned from turnerriver and I simply have more time and obsession to post than the does! John has a life :).

How about a better picture instead? This one is from the later No 32 catalog of 1939:

View attachment 659445

There it says the belt is No 80 plain, No 81 basket, No 82 carved. And before anyone gets too excited about the prices shown, keep in mind that a new Colt SAA was only $15 in, for example, 1916. And inflation was very low then especially by 1939 (America had just recovered from the Great Depression, only to have WWII declared in Europe), so the price wouldn't have been much higher in '39.
Red, Many THANKS for providing the still-needed info on "No. 80", which matches that stamp on my cartridge belt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts