Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"Unusual\" Police Positive

I may well have picked up an example of the rare 7.5" Police Positive .38s(fixed sights) that Henry Stebbins mentions in one of his books seeing as a kid in the 1910s in a store in Portland,Maine. Guns were special order for Maine trappers.

Gun is reblued(non factory), but all else seems "original". Seller figured gun had been "gunsmithed"-more I studied it over the weekend,the more my less than $200 cost seems a bargain-and its a great shooter!

Gun was made in 1910---and I live in Maine.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Re: \"Unusual\" Police Positive

That is definitely unusual in my book. Glad you snapped it up. I like old Police Positives. Why do you suppose the trappers liked the long barrel? I'd like to see a photo of such a piece.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: \"Unusual\" Police Positive

Trapping tended to be done in the winter,gloves were worn,heavy gloves that covered the wrists,so a handgun could be shot like a rifle,with one hand on the barrel. Gloves protected from the blast/debris by cylinder.

Harrington Richardson had a solid frame .22,with the long barrel,called the "Trapper" in 1900-1930 period(the also had one called the "Hunter".) BOTH were fixed sighted,as many adjustable sights at the time were NOT rugged enough to stand up to the vigorous carry by outdoorsmen.

Back to my "unusual Police Positive". On pg. 36 of his 1961 book,"Pistols,A Modern Encyclopedia",Stebbins comments on these guns,and the fact always stuck with me,probably cause I was brought up in Portland,Maine,but not born 'til 1943.

Seller thought the gun was "gunsmithed",probably at same time it was reblued(job is definately NOT Colt-and there are NO rework marks-or even "strange marks" on gun inside and out)(like all my purchases-I competely strip.clean,inspect and tune it before shooting-and it shot well,a tad high with 158 gr. .38 S&W 800 fps handloads,but right on vertically with mild loaded 148 gr.HBWCs.)

Why I suspect it to be factory is 1)the quality of the work.2)the barrel,7.5" from an Officers Model(and so marked on the side) has had the "slot for the adjustable front sight ground down and a regular Colt 1/2 moon fixed sight sweated in place in the base. Rear of bbl.has had the shank shortened to clear the smaller P.P. frame,and a relief cut in the bottom of bbl. for ejector rod to clear the fatter bbl. than the normal,thinner P.P..

3) I have a 1910 vintage Officers Model with a 7.5" bbl. and side marking is identical-BUT- there is NO April 9,1901 patent date on the bbl. top as in ALL my Colt Target revolvers. This date is for J.J. Peard's patent for adjustable front and rear sights-not found on fixed sighted Colts!

So,this is "good evidence"-BUT why Colt didn't stamp the "Police Positive .38" on the bbl. side,instead of "Officers Model .38",with the Maltese crosses,I can't understand???

Will I "letter it"?? Hell NO!! Non factory refinish has wrecked any real collector value,and recent Colt letters leave a helluvalot to be desired compared to the older ones,when Mr. Ulrich was historian. He,like Roy Jinks of S&W would "dig out" info from the oldest files. TOO MANY recent Colt letters at close to $100 are coming back with "not specified" in many features,at least IMO.

Was gonna put the very fine original hard rubber Colt "C" stocks,# to the gun,up for sale,as the gun came also with nice smooth Herretts,for a more recent D frame(full grip straps) that someone had modified with epoxy inside to fit the older(pre 1920's) smaller grip frame,but I kinda like the "package"-and how it shoots too,even with the fixed rear sight! Gun is perfectly regulated!

My less than $200 payment has given me a good weekend of fun,especially,"investigating the old Colt".Could turn out to be a "gunsmith special",but they just don't do work like that anymore-unless ya' go to one of the "pros" and BIG$$$.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts