Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first photo shows 2 OP .22 revolvers-the top,s/n 307XX(c. 1948),has transitional pre- & post-war features.The bottom OP is s/n 357XX(c. 1951) w/ all post-war features.The 2nd photo shows the grips from both revolvers.The top pair is from the early post-war gun & has,as shown,a male screw & a female screw head for the other side.I haven't seen this before.The grips,as shown,are the more colorful red mottled type.The 2nd pair of grips has the male screw w/ the female threaded cup attached to the right grip. I have a number of post-war OP revolvers w/ grips like this but the top pair is the 1st I've seen made that way.I just bought the top revolver & noticed the difference in the grips while examining it.I believe this is a factory set of grips that was probably more trouble to make than it was worth so they didn't make them for very long.I collect commercial DA revolvers-how do the Commando plastic grips compare?

regards,
John Witty

·
Registered
103 Posts
John,
My two Commandos plastic grips are just like the official police pre-war wood grips. A brass fitting on both ends, with the male component from the left grip going through the female component on the right grip (so you can see the flush end of the screw in the right grip). I'm no expert on early post war DA colts, but your early post-war transition model grips are the first I have seen in this configuration. I'm sure we will hear from the real experts on this matter shortly.

Now I know you have the perfect set of Heiser or Lawrence period holsters to go with this pair of 22's. Let's see em! Thanks for sharing.
Larry

·
Registered
593 Posts
Very interesting! That suggests to me that Turnerriver's grips, and now those of GLS, are indeed factory. We ought to come up with a proper descriptive term for this type of grip/screw combo so that they can be distinguished from the other Coltwood grip types. Suggestions?

Charlie Flick

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
I have few revolvers of the plastic stock era, so perhaps this was the standard screw setup with the Post-War plastic stocks. I will check what I have, but I do not recall such a setup on my 1951 OMS.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Well I'll be! I went down to the vault room and sure enough, my 1951 OMS DOES have this style of escutcheon, EXCEPT that the right escutcheon has no screwdriver slot! (It is completely smooth.) I therefore speculate that this blind right escutcheon is an early Post-War feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts