Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's really "weird" is that it lettered as a Detective Special. I know the two models are virtually identical, but I'll have to check with Paul on this one...

IMG_5456.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
"Aeromarine Supply Company" definitely had a thing for nickel Colts. I've seen 5 or 6 other nickel Colt revolvers that lettered there as well. Here's a bit more on them:

The Aeromarine Supply Company (originally Aero Service & Supply Co.) was a sporting goods retailer. It began as an automotive and aviation supply company founded by Harold Wood, who also owned the Wood Chevrolet dealership. His son, Robert took over management of the business after World War II and changed the name to Aeromarine in 1955 when he took ownership of the company.
The original store was located at 5701 Airport Highway in Woodlawn. James Earl Ray purchased a Remington hunting rifle at that location on March 30, 1968. He later used that gun to kill Martin Luther King Jr in Memphis, Tennessee.
The company also opened a boat showroom at Eastwood Mall in the 1960s.
Aeromarine was most recently located at 4400 Valley Road in Trussville, where it now does business as the Logan Martin Boating Center.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
......Here's a bit more on them:

The Aeromarine Supply Company (originally Aero Service & Supply Co.) was a sporting goods retailer. It began as an automotive and aviation supply company founded by Harold Wood, who also owned the Wood Chevrolet dealership. His son, Robert took over management of the business after World War II and changed the name to Aeromarine in 1955 when he took ownership of the company.
The original store was located at 5701 Airport Highway in Woodlawn. James Earl Ray purchased a Remington hunting rifle at that location on March 30, 1968. He later used that gun to kill Martin Luther King Jr in Memphis, Tennessee.
I remembered James Earl Ray and his rifle the moment I read "Aeromarine" on your letter. A somewhat unusual name for sporting goods.

I have a 1946 Smith & Wesson M&P that lettered to Klein's in Chicago, where Oswald purchased his rifle ;)

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Advertised price lists from the 1961, 1962 and 1963 Colt catalog. The 3 inch offering does not appear in 1961, appears as a Police Positive Special in 1962, and then as Detective Special in 1963. It's apparent that there was some confusion or uncertainty surrounding the 3” offering during this time period. Strange stuff...

1961 Price List:

1962 Price List:

1963 Price List:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just double checked and the serial number dates production to 1960 (not 1961). Still doesn't change anything because the 3" barrel first appeared in 1962 as a PPS and then in 1963 as a DS. This 1960 model appears to be one of those strange Colt Post-War revolver "unicorns" and based on the archive letter there are at the very least, 2 others out there somewhere...

Reactions: krag96

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Cam, I find it interesting the square butt shows a 1921 serial number and narrow square butt grip frame (basically eliminated from production by the end of 1927), yet wasn't assembled and shipped until approximately 13 years later in 1934.

As we all know, manufacturers never threw away parts that were superseded unless they were deemed unsafe. However, the gap between this serial number older narrow square butt PPS frame and the date the revolver was shipped seems even more out of a normal transition period to newer parts

Do you know what an "O.S. Frame" is?
"Old Stock Frame", perhaps?

·
The Consummate Collector
7,159 Posts
Cam, I find it interesting the square butt shows a 1921 serial number and narrow square butt grip frame (basically eliminated from production by the end of 1927), yet wasn't assembled and shipped until approximately 13 years later in 1934.

As we all know, manufacturers never threw away parts that were superseded unless they were deemed unsafe. However, the gap between this serial number older narrow square butt PPS frame and the date the revolver was shipped seems even more out of a normal transition period to newer parts

Do you know what an "O.S. Frame" is?
"Old Stock Frame", perhaps?
Yes, this frame was one that sat on the shelf for several years. The O.S. means "Old Style" which signified the early frame. There is quit a gap in serial numbers between the two that were shipped just two years apart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts