Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Yes, I was thinking the same thing and was wondering if they could do more research using the Factory Order Number.

Nice to have the letter of confirmation. I have to say that I'm totally blown away that there's no mention of the inscription in the letter. I'd ask Paul or Beverly to double check that.

Sam

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I just read the thread, and all I can say is WOW! Congratulations. It's really nice to see how a family member managed to keep everything intact with this little gem. It's great that it is now in the hands of a collector who truly understands how remarkable it is. Hopefully, it will serve as an example for future generations of collectors. I commend you, Russ, on your persistence. Things like this rarely ever turn up for the occasional buyer, but seem to turn up more with those who spend the time and do the work. Very little luck involved here, just a nice payday at the end of a job well done!

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Thanks Scott, but I still claim "luck" to be one of my biggest allies. The first morning of the show I nearly didn't recognize the owner. I decided to get up to stretch my legs and chase her down, just in case...
I do believe that many guns like this rarely appear for sale in the spotlight of the general market. When I go to shows these days, it's mainly to display a portion of my collection (I almost never sell a gun off the table). I end up talking with other collectors and those who still casually admire the quality/craftsmanship of fine Colt firearms. Once you get to know some of the patrons of a local show, you begin to hear stories of guns that people once had or, in this case, one that might still be around just waiting to be "rediscovered". That's when things can get interesting...

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I don't think I will EVER top this one. I might actually be suffering from "Post Traumatic One in a Lifetime Colt Syndrome"...

Congratulations . Only problem is ..... How are you gonna top THAT !! It is the most beautiful Detective Special I have ever seen.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
It's actually both I guess. The vast majority of the patrons to the shows here around southern AZ are looking for hunting rifles, ammo and "plastic guns". Most walk quickly past my table. The ones who stop usually have a story to tell, and I'm a VERY good listener...

I have seen others do this. Is this just for conversation purposes at the show? Or to shake things loose from potential sellers? Just trying to understand the reasoning.

Reactions: Coltautos

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
I just managed to pick up the rest of the items related to the Frank Schram Factory Engraved Nickel Detective Special that I purchased earlier this year. The grand daughter had this assortment of items that belonged to the Sheriff of Oakland County: An original photo of Sheriff Schram, Undersheriff Badge, Sheriff Badge, Handcuffs, and his notation pad with bullet hole. He had actually been shot while on duty with the pad in his shirt pocket. The bullet penetrated almost the entire thickness of the pad and just barely exited the other side. It saved his life! Look for a full article in a upcoming issue of the Rampant Colt.

Picture frame Fashion accessory Pocket watch Rectangle
Handwriting Text Writing Paper Document
Red Leather Wallet Material property Fashion accessory
Red Wallet Leather Material property Fashion accessory

81 - 100 of 141 Posts