Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Sorry to hear that he passed away...

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
That is SO depressing to watch (for me anyways)...

And they didn't even mention the included test target. How lame.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,596 Posts
That is SO depressing to watch (for me anyways)...

And they didn't even mention the included test target. How lame.
I feel your pain Russ. It is simply an amazing gun and no doubt the best Detective Special ever made. It was really something that you were able to get both badges and the writing pad that was part of the story. It would not surprise me to see it go north of 100. Was it RIA that came up with the old photo's of the Sheriff and his guys?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I feel your pain Russ. It is simply an amazing gun and no doubt the best Detective Special ever made. It was really something that you were able to get both badges and the writing pad that was part of the story. It would not surprise me to see it go north of 100. Was it RIA that came up with the old photo's of the Sheriff and his guys?
First time seeing this older thread. No need to comment on the gun and package as it is what it is. I’m just wondering if that pad miraculously saved his life if he kept the bullet and what happened to it? Seems like it would be another neat aspect.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
A couple of the photos were the ones I used in the Rampant Colt article. The Schram family member I bought it from said they actually once had the slug that was lodged in the notebook, but couldn't find it at the time of the sale.
It's kind of strange being the one who "discovered" the revolver, write the Rampant Colt article which unintentionally led to it's sale, and now watch it hit the "national spotlight" after the previous owner passed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm impressed that you initiated the process that led to your purchase of the gun. Well done!
Beautiful gun,, by the way.
(Updated 6/11/17) 1930 LNIB Factory Engraved Nickel Detective Special with Pearls

Well, miracles can come true. I just picked this up today at a local show. I had seen the gun in person about 5 or 6 years ago and inquired if it was for sale. The owner politely told me that the gun was part of the family and would never be offered for sale. Fast forward to yesterday at the show. I saw the owner and asked if she still had the gun. She told me it was still "part of the family" and intended to keep it... but was in the process of moving and might be able to use some extra cash. I asked if she would bring it back with her to the show today.

I really didn't expect to see her again but as I was setting up my table this morning, I saw her walking towards me with that tell tale maroon colored Pre-War box in her walker basket. I actually felt myself get a bit nervous as she got closer. I made her an offer and the gun is now the centerpiece of my Detective Special collection. Here are the details: The gun was originally given to her husband's grandfather when he retired from the police department back in Michigan in the early 30's. Over the span of the next 75 years she believes it was only fired once or twice with less than one box of shells in all. The serial number dates the production to 1930. It is still in the factory original serial number matching box, complete with factory labels that read "Engraved" and "Pearl" indicating it was shipped factory engraved with pearl grips. The box even has the original manual and serial number matching test target. The condition is nothing short of 98% to 99% with only the very tiniest of handling marks here and there. I have found a true "once in a lifetime" time capsule of an exceptional piece of Colt craftsmanship. Now for the pics...

9/29/16 - Archive Letter added on page 8 of this thread.

1/6/17 - See additional items related to the gun on page 10 of this thread.
6/11/17 - Check out the Summer 2017 Issue of the Rampant Colt Magazine for the full article.

View attachment 172857 View attachment 172865 View attachment 172873 View attachment 172881 View attachment 172889
Stunning. Congratulations!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have to agree with Cam.

When you account for condition, factory embellishments and its well-documented provenance there is no greater known Detective Special.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
It's all good. At the time, it was the right decision for me. The sale funded quite a few other projects over the years. I still have a good chunk of the $$$ left. To find it, get an article published in the Rampant Colt, and now see it move down the road to another "caretaker" has been a memorable experience. I type this all while biting my lower lip (lol)...

·
The Consummate Collector
7,596 Posts
It's all good. At the time, it was the right decision for me. The sale funded quite a few other projects over the years. I still have a good chunk of the $$$ left. To find it, get an article published in the Rampant Colt, and now see it move down the road to another "caretaker" has been a memorable experience. I type this all while biting my lower lip (lol)...
Russ

Who knows, maybe another gem will show up around the corner and you can start all over. Good things come to collects who are persistent.

Cam

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Not to be overlooked in this story was the passing of Douglas Ellison earlier this year (2/6/1928 - 4/14/2021). He bought the revolver from me back in the summer of 2017. He and I became quite good friends after that. We'd talk on the phone for hours at a time. He was a very active collector of Glahn engraved Colts "back in the early days" as he called them. This was before the internet and a good deal of the collecting was done by word of mouth, and a lot of driving to local and regional shows. Here's a photo of him at his home in Texas, the day I delivered him the revolver. He'll be missed...

Watch Hairstyle Comfort Lap Beard

·
The Consummate Collector
7,596 Posts
Not to be overlooked in this story was the passing of Douglas Ellison earlier this year (2/6/1928 - 4/14/2021). He bought the revolver from me back in the summer of 2017. He and I became quite good friends after that. We'd talk on the phone for hours at a time. He was a very active collector of Glahn engraved Colts "back in the early days" as he called them. This was before the internet and a good deal of the collecting was done by word of mouth, and a lot of driving to local and regional shows. Here's a photo of him at his home in Texas, the day I delivered him the revolver. He'll be missed...

View attachment 759753
Russ.

Thanks and a nice picture of Doug. I first met him at one of the Tulsa shows 20 years ago and we talked on the phone for all of the years since up until he passed. He was an inspiring collector that had a wonderful collection of Colts. I know that your Detective Special would still be with him if he had not passed.

May he rest in peace.

Cam.

·
Premium Member
6,131 Posts

View attachment 759753
This illustrates what is most important about collecting. It's the friends you make along the way.

·
Registered
740 Posts
121 - 140 of 141 Posts