Colt Forum banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,694 Posts
Up to about 50 I was in but knew it would go way past that. As much as I would love to own it I felt it was getting out of my current collecting lane. Even if it went for the next bid at 65 that would have been 82 out the door.

A marvelous gun for sure.

I tried to get it for you Rod.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
Up to about 50 I was in but knew it would go way past that. As much as I would love to own it I felt it was getting out of my current collecting lane. Even if it went for the next bid at 65 that would have been 82 out the door.

A marvelous gun for sure.

I tried to get it for you Rod.
I appreciate your effort.....the thought is what counts....

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 · (Edited)
I think RIA might have "missed the target" to a certain degree in the way they advertised this revolver. The history around the shooting with the bullet hole in the notebook thing is all very well and cool, I get that. But all that happened about 7 or 8 years before Frank Schram was ever presented the gun as a retirement gift. They NEVER mentioned that this is the only Pre-War nickel, factory engraved, square butt, Detective Special known to exist, and I don't believe they attributed the engraving to Wilbur A. Glahn. They also never disclosed that the box contents also included a factory test target.

Whoever the new owner is, I hope they enjoy it. I'll always remember the first day I saw it, and was definitely my "once in a lifetime" gun.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,231 Posts
I wanted to play. My high bid came up shorter than I will admit. It still felt good though!

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
The Consummate Collector
7,694 Posts
I wanted to play. My high bid came up shorter than I will admit. It still felt good though!
I understand, just being in the mix for a bid or two felt good. After all, who wouldn't want to own that gun? Russ is very fortunate that he had the honor of owning if for several years. I am sure that it was very satisfying and I congratulate him for uncovering it to begin with.

Cam

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think RIA might have "missed the target" to a certain degree in the way they advertised this revolver. The history around the shooting with the bullet hole in the notebook thing is all very well and cool, I get that. But all that happened about 7 or 8 years before Frank Schram was ever presented the gun as a retirement gift. They NEVER mentioned that this is the only Pre-War nickel, factory engraved, square butt, Detective Special known to exist, and I don't believe they attributed the engraving to Wilbur A. Glahn. They also never disclosed that the box contents also included a factory test target.

Whoever the new owner is, I hope they enjoy it. I'll always remember the first day I saw it, and was definitely my "once in a lifetime" gun.
Snakeman, I was the high bidder on the detective special and would very much like to talk with you. I can be reached at (925)482-3107.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
After speaking with the owner, I can comfortably say it's in very good hands and has found a great new home. :)

·
The Consummate Collector
7,694 Posts
After speaking with the owner, I can comfortably say it's in very good hands and has found a great new home. :)
Russ

Did you ask the new owner if he had a copy of the Rampant Colt magazine with the terrific story and photos that you wrote? If not he should be able to obtain a copy from the Colt Collectors Association. I would think that he would like a copy to keep with the gun. In my opinion, it is without a doubt the finest Detective Special ever made.

Cam.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 · (Edited)
Thank's Cam, I've already mailed him a copy, along with a book I still had about the History of the Oakland County Sheriff's Department. The book detailed the Schram "shoot-out".

For some reason, the original Frank Schram photograph and his personal handcuffs didn't make it to RIA. I'm trying to locate them and see if we can reunite them with the revolver. Would be a shame if they were separated...

·
The Consummate Collector
7,694 Posts
Thank's Cam, I've already mailed him a copy, along with a book I still had about the History of the Oakland County Sheriff's Department. The book detailed the Schram "shoot-out".

For some reason, the original Frank Schram photograph and his personal handcuffs didn't make it to RIA. I'm trying to locate them and see if we can reunite them with the revolver. Would be a shame if they were separated...
That was most kind of you and I am sure he will certainly appreciate it. I, like you, like to see everything stay together. Did the missing items transfer from you to your buyer? I assume they did by your comment. If so I can try and assist if you wish.

Cam.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
The photo and handcuffs were never made part of the auction. They must still be in Texas. I'm in contact with Doug's son to try and locate the items.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts