Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel the need to delete this post because I feel like I'm being flamed on this.So you guys with the dogs go right ahead and trust your valuables to the doggies.Have a Good Day

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Good post!!
How many people just lock their guns in a tin box and hide it in a closet? You know who you are! Every owner should consider that just being a gun owner makes him/her a target for certain bad guys who will gladly steal your precious heirlooms, just to buy dope.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Make sure that you have an audible alarm also. That will do more to keep the crooks out than the fact that its alarmed. The bad guys know that there is any where from a 5 minute to 15 minute response time to an alarm. On the other hand, if its also audible, every one starts looking at your place and the bad guys know that too. You can loose alot of guns in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not only are the alarm systems a good idea, But I also like to think that my good ole' german shepherds growling and barking just waiting for some lame loser to came through that door might make them a little leary about entering my home. (By the way, the thieves would have to make it past the one in the front yard, before they were met by the force of the one in the house, and I double dog dare them to try to enter the fenced in back yard.....they might be a little suprised by what they find out there!!!) I actually pity the man who tries to break into my home!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a sign posted so people do know that we have dogs, (in case they can't see the one in the front yard, duh) they are well mannered dogs and great with kids, (as I have smaller children myself) and a wonderful addition to our family.

My dogs have not been taught to KILL, but they have been taught to PROTECT!! And I believe that's exactly what they do, I understand if my dog were to harm someone I'm at fault, but that would only happen if the dogs felt that our family, home or themselves were in danger. And as far as that goes, if the "would be" thief was stupid enough to continue into my home, then he/she deserves to be met by the "house patrol," so to speak.

Anyway, yes we have a security system, and I believe everyone should, but the dogs are just an added measure of security, considering computers, electronics, etc are not 100% accurate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 3 large guard dogs, and no children in the house. I don't really need a safe(but I use one anyways). The 'silly law' depends on where you are. You are either allowed to have a guard dog or not - check the laws specifically. I am more rural, and guard dogs are considered part of your herd. So if someone were to actually break in and injure your guard dogs, they are liable for the damages to the hound. We also have tresspassing laws that protect the property owner very well. The important thing is to not let your dogs escape after you post the signs - that's when you become liable(and irresponsible). If you do NOT have a sign on your gate and someone like a meter reader, whom nearly always has an easement to come onto your property to check the meter, wanders on and becomes attacked THEN you're in real trouble. Put the signs up.

The Komondors are 130 lbs each, while the rottweiler is 145 lbs.

Here's the Rott standing next to one of my non-guard dogs(an 85lb Greyhound that is 30" at the shoulder).

And, unlike a safe or a security system, they will attack an unwelcomed guest and protect me with their lives.

WYK

[ QUOTE ]
Good post!!
How many people just lock their guns in a tin box and hide it in a closet? You know who you are! Every owner should consider that just being a gun owner makes him/her a target for certain bad guys who will gladly steal your precious heirlooms, just to buy dope.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Beautiful dogs!!!!!

I have my gun safes, I have my security system and I have my dogs....with my signs POSTED. I don't think I have any reason to worry about trespassers, in the event that something like that should happen I have faith in my security company and the siren my system whails throughout the neighborhood and the added bonus of my dogs, that the would be thief would be deterred from trying to enter my home.

[ QUOTE ]
And, unlike a safe or a security system, they will attack an unwelcomed guest and protect me with their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I truly believe my dogs would do the same for any person in my home, especially the children.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Where is it a law that says you can't post a sign saying that you have a guard dog? If your dogs off your property and bites someone you may get sued and you may get a ticket. You won't go to jail unless you've had previous citations and were ordered to chain the dog up or get rid of it and didn't. If someone gets bit by your dog on your property who doesn't belong there your not going to get in trouble, you may get sued as lawyers will always be willing to try to sue someone for just about anything.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have two signs, one simply has a picture of my German Shepherd on it and reads: "Dogs on premises" but I favor the other sign that also has a picture of my GS and reads: "I can make it to the gate in 2.8 can you?" I bought it at a local gun show. I thought it was cute. Like I stated before one of my 3 dogs is right in the front yard....you can't miss it. One is in the house, and the other in the back yard. It's completely obvious we have dogs and we rotate them as well, so you never know which one will greet ya at which location. My dogs are trained to protect, but are also family members, and they are great with our children.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts