Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy to all you big gun shooters in Coltland!

I'm sidestepping way off here to an unknown erea of the fine firearms that Colt have, is or will be producing (like revo's for instance!) in the coming months (hopefully).

Now then, here's my question.

If I want to buy an AR-15 it will certainly will be in .223.
Now there are to me 2 known makers of uppers in .22LR available in the Netherlands (yep a posting from far, far away)being Ciener and Viktor Arms.

Now the difference between those 2 is something in the range of 200 Euro. In yankeedollares that's approx. $220 US the Viktor being the expensive one.

Question is: Is this price difference justifiable or not?

Hopefully somebody can throw some light on this matter, till then happy shooting from Holland.

Keep them smoking,

Gunsmoke.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
I have no knowledge of the Viktor unit.

The Ciener unit works pretty well.

I'm assuming there's a reason the Viktor unit costs that much more, and I'd find out what it is.

If it's a better made, more reliable unit, it might be a better buy in the long run.

That's a BIG price difference.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dfariswheel,

Can you tell me what the Ciener-unit consists of?

I'm having trouble to tell you what I found out recently about the Ciener and the Viktor, but I don't know the English vocabulairy, sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
Since I do not really know, perhaps I should just say nothing. However, I am familiar with the Ciener kit and it is just a conversion kit that replaces only the bolt carrier in the rifle, and uses the complete original centerfire upper receiver. I suspect the Viktor (could it be Vektor, which is a South African company?) is a complete .22LR upper unit with new barrel, handguards, mechanism, etc., thus accounting for the difference in cost.

There are several American companies that are now making complete .22LR upper assemblies. Ciener is the most common maker of the bolt carrier conversion type.

In conversion units, none compare with the gas-operated U.S. Airforce units that use the white nylon 10-round magazines the size and shape of a 30-round magazine. The chamber insert is rifled and the insert is very well fitted to the chamber. The bolt locks open on the last shot. It is the most accurate conversion kit I have ever used, and I have at least one of most of the kits ever offered, beginning with the original Atchisson kits of the 1960s. The Ciener kit is just the old Bro Caliber unit, which was itself a clone of the Atchisson kit with a different magazine style.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a saying in my country that goes as follows.

To talk is silver to remain silent is gold.

However JudgeColt, this does not apply to you, your Honor.

Because you are absolutely right! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Viktor is a complete upper as you have mentioned.

Thanks everyone for once again clearing a small mistery in Coltland.

Keep them smoking!

Gunsmoke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts