Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$62.00 to send my Python back to Colt through UPS to get repaired, insurance included ($5.40) air mailed overnight. Does that sound right? Any idea what it will be for return shipping? Holy cow Batman, that's no chump change, I was thinking maybe $70 there and back all together. No matter, I can't wait to get it back with a nice new Royal Blue treatment!! Also having the timing fixed, gun checked for light primer strikes and an overall safety and reliability check since it's a 45 year old Python. Can't believe it's finally on it's way back to the factory. Thanks Dfariswheel and everyone else who steered me away from having the local gunsmith *try* to fix either of my Pythons.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have no idea how much would be fair to ship a firearm. I understand that some companies won't even ship them anymore. But I personally never use UPS for anything. I refuse to ever give them another penny from my pocket.

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought one could use Next Day besides Overnight which might have run up the price some plus the insured value of the Python. Seems to me last gun I shipped was closer to $40-45.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, UPS is the only carrier I have that will even send a firearm outside of a FFL dealer. And the FFL dealer opens a whole other can of worms IMO. UPS said I could only overnight the package so I don't know. It was like $40 plus $9.00 for the weight and size of the package plus $5.40 to insure for $1200 and then another 10 bucks or so to have an adult (over 21) sign for it at CMC. There was also a fuel surcharge in there somewhere also, I'd have to check my receipt again. I'm suprised UPS didn't charge me to have the drivers shoes shined as well! Hopefully the return trip from Colt isn't so pricey.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to my world /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

First, FedEx most assuredly does allow an individual to ship a handgun to a licensed repair facility. I've found that their clerks often don't know this, and simply default to "no." Should one run across this attitude, have them check Section 15, "Firearms", of the FedEx Service Guide. You cannot, however, ship guns from one of their authorized agents - you must go to a FedEx-owned Service Counter.

I've found FedEx to generally be cheaper than UPS - from my side of the country (Oregon) to the other usually runs about $45.00

Having said that, shipping companies really have folks over a barrel (and not the one on your Colt!) If you want to ship a gun and have it insured, you must adhere to the carrier's Terms of Service, which always stipulate shipping by the most expensive method.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
They require shipping by the most expeditious method to minimize the time in their possession because they can't trust their employees not to steal them. FFLs can ship via USPS and it might be cheaper overall if you have a friendly FFL. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only problem I see with using FFL is that the FFL dealer then becomes the *customer* of Colt instead of me. Colt deals with the FFL as if they were the owner of the firearm instead of dealing and communicating with yers truly, the real customer. Hence the chances for something getting miscommunicated multiply and so forth. Once that was explained to me by a Colt service rep I knew I'd be better off just using UPS and having them deal with me directly about MY Python.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
That may be another stupidity on the part of Colt. They should be able to recognize and interface with the owner based on an included letter about the work required, for example. Aren't you the one identified on a work order? Aren't you the one being billed? Ridiculous. But probably just another example of our degenerating business environment. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
689 Posts
A1A said it best "FFLs can ship via USPS and it might be cheaper overall if you have a friendly FFL"...

I have that flexibility... My FFL will include a copy of the applicable paperwork and documentation and send it off... Nor did I have any issues coresponding with Colt...

I have had only one opportunity to do so but it worked flawlessly... My FFL charges me a whoping $5.00 (I do all the packing and legwork) and is a steal...

In addition he utilizes USPS at a fee of approx. $20.00 (overnight/next day shipping)...

That being said, if at all posible get friendly with an FFL...

P.S.
Shop around, one FFL some 10 miles may charge half of what the corner shop does... Their fees are anything but consistant...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I know that deals can't be worked out everywhere, but thanks for giving me a shred of credibility. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
154 Posts
The high cost of UPS shipping, justified by thier own untrustworthy workforce, is just another nail in the coffin of the Colt Python. A beautiful but high maintainance revolver, best serviced by the three qualified vendor's often mentioned here, leaves non-FFL holders at the mercy of the shipping companys. Funny isn't it, round trip shipping now cost about what my early 70's vintage Python cost new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts