Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to being inspired here by ei8ht, I ordered a US Armament 1903 Hammerless. I am picking it up next week when I am eligible to purchase a handgun again. NJ...don’t even get me started. I have a question for either ei8ht, or Brent about the production numbers for these guns being made.
I chose the Royal Blue. How many of each finish will be made?
Should I try to source out some old Colt mags at guns shows, or is the mag that comes with the gun sufficient?
I also thought that I read somewhere that the Royal Blue finish was done at the Colt Custom shop. Any truth to this? I also read somewhere that there are no MIM parts. Hope that is true also.
I will post pictures after I pick it up, and hopefully a range report.
Thanks again
Roland

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
production numbers for these guns being made.

GOP1998 Highest serial number seen...https://www.gunbroker.com/item/753908303

I chose the Royal Blue. How many of each finish will be made?
The High Polish Royal Blue are Fantastic Looking!

Unknown.how many different finishes.
Parked
Blue
Royal Blue
Nickel
have been seen.

Should I try to source out some old Colt mags at guns shows, or is the mag that comes with the gun sufficient?

US Armament made 1903 mags run fine.

I also thought that I read somewhere that the Royal Blue finish was done at the Colt Custom shop.
Any truth to this?

Unknown.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post pics showing the difference?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

GOP1998 Highest serial number seen...https://www.gunbroker.com/item/753908303

The High Polish Royal Blue are Fantastic Looking!

Unknown.how many different finishes.
Parked
Blue
Royal Blue
Nickel
have been seen.

US Armament made 1903 mags run fine.

Unknown.

Thanks for the reply ei8ht. I was hoping you would see this.
My serial number is 1306 I think. I will post pics when I pick it up next week.
Hopefully Brent can chime in on if Colt actually did the Royal Bluing for US Armament. Wow! Five consecutive serial numbers. That is awesome ei8ht. If I really like this I am contemplating buying a parked one to shoot, so I can keep the Royal Blue one nice.
How is their parkerized finish?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Ronald, I thought that is what you were talking about. Thanks for posting the pictures showing the difference.
They did seem to come close... but not an exact copy. I wonder what the reason was? Did the relief cut change over the production life of this gun or was it always the same?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
From what I see, all the 1903's had the same relief cut specs. US Property were no different. I think with the removal of the US Property on the high blue model it would look better. Too late to correct on existing models:(

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I see, all the 1903's had the same relief cut specs. US Property were no different. I think with the removal of the US Property on the high blue model it would look better. Too late to correct on existing models:(
Thanks for reply. I am still happy to get one though.
Still tempted to get a parked one too.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To the best of my understanding, Colt has zero to do with production on the guns.
Denis
Thanks Dennis, you would know if anyone would. I can't remember were I read that Colt was doing the bluing. Do you know who does it? Hopefully Brent will come along.

·
Registered
58 Posts
SnakeGunner, I have been very involved with US Armament and Brent, in selling the new production 1903's. Colt does not do the Royal Blue high polished finish, nor any of the other finishes on the new production Colt 1903's. US Armament does the high polished Royal Blue at their location and I must say it is BEAUTIFUL!

We also sell the magazines. both blue and nickel. We have had customers buy them for their new production 1903's and old Colt 1903's. We have had no complaints at all. Everyone seems to be very pleased with their performance.

To date, US Armament offers the following finishes: Parkerized, Matte Blue, Polished Royal Blue, High Polished Nickel. There has been One Charcoal Blue and One Color Case Hardened Colt 1903 released. They also offer a High Polished Blue and High Polished Nickel Engraved gun by Adams and Adams. There have also been a few Nickel Engraved guns by two other engravers, Ian Morrison and Gerry Beathard. All of these guns are factory guns, not aftermarket engraving.

I hope answers some of your questions. I am sure Brent will also comment when he has time.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts