Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
A government issue with no idiot scratch? I'll admit there certainly are absolutely some stellar merchants on GunBroker. Some. For me on a Hi-Point budget, it's all academic.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Colt's letter has a bit of information that may speak to the condition of the gun. The ship date is July 1945, just a few weeks before the end of the war in the Pacific and after the surrender of Germany. Given the gun was shipped to a CONUS address it is very likely the gun was never actually issued. This of course could explain the very good condition.

It is entirely possible the gun was "acquired" having never been issued during the shut down of the OSS.

Of course this proves nothing, but it seems to me the gun could be original.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Colt's letter has a bit of information that may speak to the condition of the gun. The ship date is July 1945, just a few weeks before the end of the war in the Pacific and after the surrender of Germany. Given the gun was shipped to a CONUS address it is very likely the gun was never actually issued. This of course could explain the very good condition.

It is entirely possible the gun was "acquired" having never been issued during the shut down of the OSS.

Of course this proves nothing, but it seems to me the gun could be original.

FWIW

Chuck
Very true. OSS was dissolved in September 45…so it’s very possible this gun ended up in some kind of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” storage and didn’t resurface until many years later.

If multiple “experts” couldn’t agree on its condition and it’s still floating around the market, then it must be a pretty impressive gun in person!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SUPER 37170 seems to look better each time it comes up for sale ! (Maybe the lighting or camera?)

Here's an old Thread on it: This one is for Ronald or anyone that likes OSS guns
Only thing I can say is that Keystone has a way to make things look really good in the pics. No idea how or what they use to photo them but if you look at some of their other auctions the items seem to ‘jump out’ at you.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
From Sam's post in the referenced thread (post #7 above) Amoskeag's listing says "This is a stunning Super 38 automatic pistol, equipped with the Swartz safety, that has had a masterful museum-grade restoration of its blue with the factory markings remaining crisp and fully legible. As-mentioned the metal surfaces retain 99% plus factory-grade restored blue, so nicely done that it must be inspected with very close scrutiny to realize that it has been done at all. "

That's probably where/why the current listing picked up that term "master restoration" and why they're "letting the buyer decide" LOL
My earlier post was rhetorical, since if the multiple experts said it was good and original, they sure would have posted it that way.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts

It would be interesting to read this but when I clicked on the link it required subscribing in order to continue.

Years ago a former forum member who collects Pythons told me this seller has enhanced or tampered with some BSS Pythons that were not originally BSS.
I have not bought anything from him but the member's comments have stuck in my mind.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What's known:
It is a Government received .38.
It is still in original configuration.
It shows no signs of wear or obvious restoration.

What is implied:
That it is an "OSS" gun."
That it is in original condition.

Me? It is either original and "un-issued" as an intended OSS gun - or - it is so astoundingly well done as to not matter without dispositive PROOF.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
"Museum grade restoration"...that can mean a lot of things. Many artifacts are not restored by the museum but left in its as-used condition. Some items are restored visually but are not made functional. If you go to the National Air & Space Museum you will see many aircraft that are restored due to the condition they were found in but their rarity makes the restoration worth-while so viewers can see how they were built and used. Some are left in as-found condition but cleaned up some. Even restorations are not fully functional...what's the purpose of making the engines functional when they'll never be run and would require servicing regularly and can leak fluids from just sitting?

When I see ads stating "museum grade" it makes me wince. That is advertising hype.

Reactions: ei8ht
1 - 20 of 45 Posts