Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in an Email from Gun Digest:

"The U.S. Marine Corps is adopting the Glock 19.The branch announced the authorization of the polymer-framed pistol’s use in a Feb. 2 Marine Administrative Message. But not every Devil Dog will get a shot at holstering the striker-fire 9x19mm sidearm. Presently, the Glock 19 has only been sanctioned for use by Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command.
MARSOC, officially activated in 2006, is based out of Camp Lajeune, N.C., and is split into three subordinate commands: “Raider” Regiment, Support Group and Intelligence Battalion. The Glock 19 represents the third pistol MARSOC has used in its short history.
At times, the special operations group has utilize the Beretta M9A1, a variation on the standard-issue U.S. Military sidearm. More recently, MARSOC has employed a variation of the venerable M1911. Around two years ago, the Corps placed a $22.5-millon order with Colt for its M45A1 Close Quarter Battle Pistol.
According to Military.com, the most recent addition to the special operators’ roster of sidearms came at the direct request of the troops themselves:
As nice as the new .45s are, many MARSOC troops prefer to carry Glock 19s instead, sources said.
The 1911 was a ground-breaking design that served the U.S. military before World War I until the mid-1980s. The design is still popular, but it’s also heavy, prone to malfunction and limited to seven or eight-round magazines, pistols experts have said.
The G19’s easy of use and maintenance, capacity (15-rounds standard magazine) and reliability were given later in the article as some of the reasons why the pistol has curried favor with MARSOC."

"""Prone to malfunction"???? what are they doing to make it malfunction....they are using Government Ball Ammunition....limpwristing? say that is not so.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Please note that MARSOC is part of US Special Operations Command, which has very different weapons and equipment purchasing authorities than the "big" services. They can buy and try things to fit their mission with a lot less hassle, which is how it should be. Having worked with SOCOM folks a lot, I have seen them with many different handguns over the past 20 years that were not in the rest of the military's inventory, including Glocks, Colts, S&W's, Brownings, SIGs, and H&K's, in addition to the Beretta. I wouldn't read too much into this-it's another tool in the special operations toolbox. No matter how hard they try I do not expect Glock to take over the world soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.