·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Greetings,

I recently ran across the below SAA. I am considering an attempt to buy it. Could I get some opinions based on the photos? How is the condition? Does it appear to be original finish? It appears to function properly in my opinion. There is no documentation with it.

Appreciate any feedback.

This SAA has some degree of polishing and artificial aging. Additional pictures of barrel markings, cylinder number, and buttstrap numbers would help.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I concur. Serial looks suspect. Very crisp for a gun thats been buffed. Grip not a tight fit to frame. Its been browned to disguise the cleaning. At 6900.00 I'd recommend you keep looking.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
At that price - keep looking.

Any piece that's been 'enhanced' by a too-thorough cleaning and buffing, then browning that attempts to mask that fact - isn't going to be as 'original' as you'd hope for the price.

Before you go further down this expensive trail, buy (and read) Kopec's books - especially on the martial SAAs - you'll be money ahead.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
She looks like the numbers and patent dates and U.S. has been restamped along with the buffing and browning. I'd throw that one back before you catch something from it! :)

Reactions: saintclair and Rick

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I agree with all of the previous posts. Note the dishing around the screw heads in the frame which tells you it's been buffed. It wouldn't surprise me if the grips have been replaced and I would expect more bevel to the cylinder for such an early gun, which suggests to me it's also been replaced.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow, $6900!!!!!

I have a SAA (US stamped) s/n 14xxx with a 5-1/2" barrel that has the correct patina that I was going to sell for $5500, and that includes a Kopec letter -- and I thought I would be doing well at that price. People here are right -- keep looking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts