Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us are probably aware the US Postal Service in in deep financial trouble and looking for ways to cut cost and increase revenues. As holders of Class 3 FFL's (C&) are also aware we are discriminated against by the USPS in that we can not ship handguns via USPS. I just sent them a suggestion on their official site recommending a change in this administrative rule, requires no legislation to make it happen. Consider doing the same it will increase their package shipped rate and reduce our cost of shipping associated with our hobby. Besides if you have the license the Government already knows all about you.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Mike that may be true but due to firearms "disappearing" in transport even with the private carriers can you imagine the explosion of such events if they were handled by USPS.Here USPS is incapable of delivering our certified mail and special packages.They make up false attempt slips and we have to go to the Post Office to pick up our packages.Now could you imagine a firearm just hanging out with noone making a effort to deliver it in the PO or just being dropped at your front door? Nuff said....Mike

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Many if not most firearms (handguns) already go by USPS from FFL to FFL so it would be really nice to see the Curio and Relic FFL holders to be able to engage in that activity as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Even with tracking numbers leading to the door of their own St. Louis dead mail department, the PO can't find the package. No wonder they can't operate out of the red. They did this with a $4000 Galil 2 years ago, too.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what is the problem, if it is legal you declare it, insure it and collect. Am I missing something and as far as untrustworthy employees, prosecute them, dismiss them. UPS and Fed Ex have had bad apples and do not hesitate to prosecute and fire.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mike that may be true but due to firearms "disappearing" in transport even with the private carriers can you imagine the explosion of such events if they were handled by USPS.Here USPS is incapable of delivering our certified mail and special packages.They make up false attempt slips and we have to go to the Post Office to pick up our packages.Now could you imagine a firearm just hanging out with noone making a effort to deliver it in the PO or just being dropped at your front door? Nuff said....Mike
I have bought and sold probably 20 handguns, shipped or received FFL-FFL via the USPS, over the last 5 years. There has never been a problem with one of them. They go Priority Flat Rate, and the delivery time has been very satisfactory. My FFL charges me a flat rate of $25......UPS and FedEx can't beat that.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I went from having a 03 FFL to getting an 01 FFL specifically so I could use my local post office to ship hand guns. It is a small town post office, very gun friendly, and it works for me. I don't care how someone ships to me, but in my particular case, USPS can't be beat for shipping hand guns I have sold.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
My comments are only directed @ the USPS here and the terrible service I normally get from them.They might be better in other parts of the country but I have had more than a few items that were never delivered and vanished and a few times where items were just dropped on my doorstep. I wouldn't trust USPS to do thier job here if the item they were carrying was a gun.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
If a private company has issues with this type of behavior they deal with it, quickly. Amazing how some companies can get away with citing untrustoworthy employees as a reason for not providing a service in which there is a very large and profitable market for

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
As most of us are probably aware the US Postal Service in in deep financial trouble and looking for ways to cut cost and increase revenues. As holders of Class 3 FFL's (C&) are also aware we are discriminated against by the USPS in that we can not ship handguns via USPS. I just sent them a suggestion on their official site recommending a change in this administrative rule, requires no legislation to make it happen. Consider doing the same it will increase their package shipped rate and reduce our cost of shipping associated with our hobby. Besides if you have the license the Government already knows all about you.

Sounds good to me!

USPS stinks from the top for the most part - chair jockey dolts in high policy positions, who have no practical experience or quality of judgment.

They are very badly run from 'above'....whatever lesser or minor issues there may be, 'below'.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Sounds good to me!

USPS stinks from the top for the most part - chair jockey dolts in high policy positions, who have no practical experience or quality of judgment.

They are very badly run from 'above'....whatever lesser or minor issues there may be, 'below'.
In addition to a military career, I have also lived long enough to retire from the USPS and I'm here to tell everyone that it is very badly run at the 'below' levels also. Collectively, postal types are a bunch of selfish, whiney, complaining PC ingrates who sheepishly and ignorantly tend to toe the Government's anti-2A liberal party line. I never missed an opportunity to lambaste my coworkers regularly and frequently on all this. No layoffs, three "hots & a cot" every day, a warm bed at home every night, a lucrative retirement program, a hugely taxpayer-subsidized health care program and no threat of an overseas deployment. AND........ the old saying that it literally takes an act of Congress to get rid of a lazy, slovenly, corrupt, border-line criminal postal worker. Is that the American Dream or what?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Mike... Maybe I have been wrong but I have mailed pre 1899 SAA's through the USPS for some time. I have no FFL license. Few years ago I had a long talk with the postmaster at my PO. We looked up the postal regulations and found it was legal to ship pre-99's... Here is a couple quotes from ATF and USPS:

ATF web siteQ: What is a firearm curio or relic?Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
  1. Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
  2. Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
[27 CFR 478.11]
From GB:

'Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:
Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
432 Mailability432.1 General...................................
Unloaded Antique Firearm
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hi Mike;

You know, I didn't know that you weren't allowed to ship a handgun to another person in the USA by the USPS. This makes absolutely no sense at all because I buy handguns regularly from the US and it's the USPS that ships the gun to an exporter for me so that it can be sent to the border for processing by my importer.

That's really unfair that my guns can be shipped using the USPS and yours cannot. It seems to me that it is not just wrong of them to not allow you to do it, but discriminatory as well. Totally unfair in my opinion Mike.

Bud
ps
On another note Mike, in Canada, I can put an unloaded Colt SAA in a parcel and ship it to anyone I like, (door to door) in Canada for about $35.00 insured, using Canada Post. I'm also not required to disclose the contents of the box either. All that's reuired by law is that the package be "Signature Required."

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
In addition to a military career, I have also lived long enough to retire from the USPS and I'm here to tell everyone that it is very badly run at the 'below' levels also. Collectively, postal types are a bunch of selfish, whiney, complaining PC ingrates who sheepishly and ignorantly tend to toe the Government's anti-2A liberal party line. I never missed an opportunity to lambaste my coworkers regularly and frequently on all this. No layoffs, three "hots & a cot" every day, a warm bed at home every night, a lucrative retirement program, a hugely taxpayer-subsidized health care program and no threat of an overseas deployment. AND........ the old saying that it literally takes an act of Congress to get rid of a lazy, slovenly, corrupt, border-line criminal postal worker. Is that the American Dream or what?

You are right...

I apparently had put on my Rose colored Glasses there for a moment, by mistake, thinking they were my Reading Glasses.

Lol...

But let's all do write them and urge them to amend the policy, so C & Rs can ship via the regular Mail, even if 'Signature Required' is necessary.

The only 'Government Job' I ever had, was for a few months working for the County.

Long story, but, I was appalled at how things REALLY 'work' with all that, and with how extremely incompetent, wasteful, inefficient, incestuous and internecine and tacit and corrupt it all was.

It is virtually always the wrong kinds of people who obtain these 'jobs' ( and milk them to the max while playing 'politics' to ensure their own advance or promotions and to punish anyone not playing 'the game' their way).

Horrid!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority, but I would describe myself as being "generally content" with the USPS. I get my mail six days a week, and can't think of something offhand I've sent that's been lost or disappeared. I don't send a huge amount of mail, but I've used USPS Money Orders many times for the purchases of the items we discuss here, every Certified letter I've sent with those purchases has made it, and I find their Priority Mail service mostly convenient and affordable.

Can you imagine if all we had to send a letters and standard mail was via FedEx or UPS? It's at least thirty times as expensive because they're making a profit off what you're shipping. Like highways, I don't mind some subsidy for the USPS in the interest of providing an affordable useful service for the general population. Yes, there are problems that should be addressed and fixed, but those exist in just about every large organization and business out there, from fast food, to banking, to non-profits, to Enron.

As most of us are probably aware the US Postal Service in in deep financial trouble and looking for ways to cut cost and increase revenues. As holders of Class 3 FFL's (C&) are also aware we are discriminated against by the USPS in that we can not ship handguns via USPS.
Ha, "discrimination?" What protected class are you a member of?

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
My comments are only directed @ the USPS here and the terrible service I normally get from them.They might be better in other parts of the country but I have had more than a few items that were never delivered and vanished and a few times where items were just dropped on my doorstep. I wouldn't trust USPS to do thier job here if the item they were carrying was a gun.
I have had problems with my local Post Office here in Park Forest, IL - One employee in particular does not seem to know what she's doing. So most of the time I go to a neighboring town. Shorter or non existant lines - friendlier and more knowledgible people.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Mike... Maybe I have been wrong but I have mailed pre 1899 SAA's through the USPS for some time. I have no FFL license. Few years ago I had a long talk with the postmaster at my PO. We looked up the postal regulations and found it was legal to ship pre-99's... Here is a couple quotes from ATF and USPS:

ATF web siteQ: What is a firearm curio or relic?Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
  1. Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
[27 CFR 478.11]
From GB:

'Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:
Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

432 Mailability432.1 General...................................
Unloaded Antique Firearm
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

Bill
OK what does that have to do with C&R firearms?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We are not talking about how happy you are about USPS service. Please stay on point, we are talking about C&R licensees and helping the USPS you are so happy with stay in business. 2 things to consider nothing else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.