Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a Springfield 1903 serial # 938241 that is an obvious arsenal overall, maybe more than once. A quick look in Canfield's 1903 book this a 1918 receive, and the barrel is dated S A 7 42.
What am I looking at and what should I look for?

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
You pretty well covered it. A 1918 WWI era receiver that went through rebuild with a July 1942 Springfield Armory barrel. As jcmh1 mentioned, from the serial number it is a double heat treated receiver indicating that it is not in the serial number range of earlier single heat treatment receivers that were brittle. On the 1903 rebuilds the marking of the facility that did the rebuild should be stamped on the stock.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
As the others said...it's a fine rifle though not original. That still takes nothing away from it other than some value. Outside of the barrel it's likely a mixmaster of parts from Springfield Armory, Rock Island or even Remington as they made some 1903s early in the war prior to converting to 03A3s. Remington parts are usually stamped with a "R" somewhere on them. All meet military specs.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There seems to be two sets of rebuild stamps on the stock on the right side is: 0.-S.A.A. in a rectangular box outline. This is just behind the rear stock cross bolt.
On the other side it looks like a P and S.A.A. in box beside that, and on the wrist it looks like initials RA.
Finger groove straight grip stock, parkerized finish. Overall it doesn't look to bad.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
The finger groove stock is from WWI and prior...it has some value to collectors and restorers if it's in good shape though the rebuild marks affect values. RA is probably Raritan Arsenal...I'm not sure of the others.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
The SAA is San Antonio Arsenal with the other letter which is probably a C (C-SAA) representing the rebuild shop foreman. Normally Raritan Arsenal has the letter representing the shop foreman, as RA-P, but it may have been sanded away.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The SAA is San Antonio Arsenal with the other letter which is probably a C (C-SAA) representing the rebuild shop foreman. Normally Raritan Arsenal has the letter representing the shop foreman, as RA-P, but it may have been sanded away.
It very well might be C-S.A.A. and when I looked at the photos again I thought it might be. There may be another letter after the RA but that's not clear in the photos.

·
Registered
933 Posts
As the others said...it's a fine rifle though not original. That still takes nothing away from it other than some value. Outside of the barrel it's likely a mixmaster of parts from Springfield Armory, Rock Island or even Remington as they made some 1903s early in the war prior to converting to 03A3s. Remington parts are usually stamped with a "R" somewhere on them. All meet military specs.
I call these "original rebuilds" because they still are original military rifles just not with all original (as manufactured) parts. Still very desirable rifles - in my opinion - with lots of history.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you plan on shooting it you want to ask if the seller has gaged for throat erosion and muzzle wear to see how much wear the barrel has acquired. If it has a 1942 barrel then it probably also has a newer bolt as well. Also when the rifle got a new barrel was a round sight base installed or does it still have the sight base with the lightening cuts on the sides like the earlier ones.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Do you have the access and ability to check the headspace with a set of go/no-go gauges?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts