Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think of myself as a shooter/collector. I like to buy interesting firearms to shoot them but am building a collection along the way. I do enjoy owning some of them more than shooting but in the last few years shooting has become a major hobby for me as in 2-3 times a month I go to the range. I have a family and that's "me" time. Best of both worlds to own collectible guns that are a pleasure to shoot. It's one reason I am not drawn to the LNIB examples. Pretty to look at, questionable to take to the range so they don't do it for me personally.

I have no qualms with selling a gun if it doesn't do anything for me and got into Colts about 5 years ago so I ended up selling quite a few old military rifles and other handguns to buy Colts.

Prior to that I had a big interest in machine guns and am fortunate to have built a collection of 4 of them.

Anyway I do think of my collection as a part of my net worth, but have only bought a gun once specifically thinking "one day I will sell this for more", and then never shot it. I have however bought guns that seemed really cheap to me thinking if I didn't like it I could get my money out or even make a bit on it. Guns are a good way to diversify but yeah, even with the machine guns and their enormous appreciation I've seen stock holdings like Apple do better than the guns in the same timeframe.

All King Colts (where I've been focused) and one King S&W.

Cross Art Wood Symbol Font

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
For me, there is no hard and fast rule for all my guns. There is a lot of gray area in what I shoot.
Some decades I shot more single-shot rifles because I was competing.
Some years I shot more large caliber rifles because I'm hunting.
Some years I shot less .22s because of the scourge of hoarding.
Recently I started shooting black powder more, because I got a 1851 Navy and a nice long rifle.
Soon if black powder becomes scarce I may move to reloading for vintage pistol calibers (IF I can get primers)
Some guns I have 3-4 comparable ones, so I pick the most accurate, or worse condition, and leave the others in the safe.
I've never been into shotguns, but bought my daughter a trap gun for Christmas, so may get one for me to shoot trap with her.

and so on....

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
I have lots of guns. My particular interest is King modified Colts with Ropers. Here are a few of them. And truth be told, I get most of my pleasure from just looking at them. I have only fired one of my KST revolvers. But it was the sweetest shooting revolver I have ever fired.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love that Kings Woodsman with the white grips!!!!
Those are ivory and neat. The checkering puts indents into your hand as they are kind of sharp.

Amazing collection Skilled! I’d shoot them all but I admit my KST Woodsman is in high condition which causes me to not shoot it as much. Also I have a set of grips like first column , #2, mine are very similar to Sandersons but without and numbers inside and checkered to the bottom like that. Do you know who made them?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I am a Collector / hoarder. I have way too many to count and very rarely shoot any of them. I used to do a fair amount of shooting but sort of grew tired of it and found other aspects of the hobby I enjoy more. I do have a few I would like to shoot but just never get around to it and all I have to do is walk out the back door and fire them up. I think it is the thrill of the hunt that does it for me. I never go looking for a certain gun. I nearly always buy what comes into my local shop that I have worked for in one way or another for 35 years. The shop keeps on getting outstanding guns in at a regular basis and I do end up buying a good portion of them at a great price. I have nothing against shooting any of them except those that are either too valuable or to fragile to risk damaging them. For many years free ammo came along at a rate that I will never need to buy another round.

That is the fun of this whole thing, being able to have what you like and do what you want to with them. I often trade or sell to get a better gun so I don't go for the never sell a gun theory I have heard from many folks. The posted collections are fantastic and the owners should be very proud to own them.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
[QUOTE="StenFreak, post: 3331583, member: 28418"

Amazing collection Skilled! I’d shoot them all but I admit my KST Woodsman is in high condition which causes me to not shoot it as much. Also I have a set of grips like first column , #2, mine are very similar to Sandersons but without and numbers inside and checkered to the bottom like that. Do you know who made them?
[/QUOTE]

‘That pair you are referring to are actually Sanderson.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Not all Sandersons were marked. So if not we have to go by the details in the manufacturing process. Most I have personally seen, seem to have finger grips on them. For some unknown reason lots of them are not marked. Mine however are marked with the numbers.

·
Registered
956 Posts
To keep to the question . For me I have and still buy a most out of curiosity learning and a want to shoot a certain model or caliber , kind of like , Never shot one of those before . Not as much as in the past . I've Shot a lot of cool stuff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally I prefer to shoot any new (old) guns that come into my possession. Generally I put a single box of ammo through them, using the justification that I have to be sure the gun "works properly.' Beyond that, it gets cleaned, oiled and put away until sometime in the future when the urge to shoot it again strikes.

·
Registered
956 Posts
For me, there is no hard and fast rule for all my guns. There is a lot of gray area in what I shoot.
Some decades I shot more single-shot rifles because I was competing.
Some years I shot more large caliber rifles because I'm hunting.
Some years I shot less .22s because of the scourge of hoarding.
Recently I started shooting black powder more, because I got a 1851 Navy and a nice long rifle.
Soon if black powder becomes scarce I may move to reloading for vintage pistol calibers (IF I can get primers)
Some guns I have 3-4 comparable ones, so I pick the most accurate, or worse condition, and leave the others in the safe.
I've never been into shotguns, but bought my daughter a trap gun for Christmas, so may get one for me to shoot trap with her.

and so on....
Sounds like me . If a make, model, caliber and year have my interest up , I'll buy one . If the the interest is still there after shooting , and disassembled (dissected ) , I'll at times buy 3 or 4 and weed out and resell the left overs . Next will be dies , bullets , reload up and down to see if they are still interesting and so on to the next . My accumulation is a mash up of some interesting shooters (to me). Maybe I just like reloading to see why the firearm went out of style?

Reactions: StenFreak

·
Registered
225 Posts
My interests change. What I was into 20 years ago is different than 5 years ago. My current interests are milsurp rebuilding. Rebubba the bubba. Discovered Krags and then ‘03s and now No1 Enfield and the 1917 rifles. I’ve always been into .45 military revolvers, 1911s and Woodsmans. Shoot them all.

·
Registered
118 Posts

My folks had a small collection of guns. Some from her parents and grand parents. A few they purchased.

Then there were the "legend guns". Family guns going back generations that others had seen and may be even shot but long gone now.

They counted ammo for all those guns not by the box, but by the season. 3 or 4 rounds for deer season. May be 1/2 a box of shotgun shells in the Fall and if we were lucky a box or two of 22 shells to shoot up every year.

Fast forward to me. For years I shot several thousand rounds a year for competition and pleasure. Some times as much as 25K rounds in a year. There was a time having one handgun was a luxury. Then a 2nd used as a spare, even more of a luxury. And barely affordable.

Now I have to look at the current printed inventory to keep track of what I have. Some are still unfired. Many of them simply investments to be sold later at a profit. Intentionally part of my 401K.

I have a few guns. But nothing compared to what some of the regulars here have stashed away.

I don't buy guns I don't like. I also don't find the need any more to shoot every gun I own. I get as much pleasure, at times, just staring at them on display. All the while letting my mind wander to where they have been, why they were made or who used them, as me shooting them.

If I were to guess, it would be the vast majority of guns in American seldom get shot. Lots of reasons to own a gun. Not all of them involve shooting.

Curious as what other here think.

View attachment 754510
Shoot them. Carefully. Clean them well, and enjoy them.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Shoot them. Carefully. Clean them well, and enjoy them.
Abuse them , shoot what you can squeeze time and money out of , throw um on the bench and clean later . I won't care 100 years from now , will you?:p

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've had more guns pass through my than I could ever count, I can only make a vague guess at best. But I've never owned one I didn't shoot. No collector here, just a gun aficionado. The few I kept are all shooters and can be exercised in rotation; no room full for me, just a few used ones..

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
There are shooters and there are collectors, and there are shooter/collectors. I never understood not wanting to own a gun if you couldn't shoot it. Most of my guns have not been shot since I bought them, but I have several that I shoot on a regular basis. I have a beautiful near new condition NRA/DCM 1903 Springfield Special Target rifle from 1916. With the possibility of it being one of the brittle receiver rifles I wouldn't shoot it for that reason anyway, but that is no reason not to own it. I own knives that I have never cut anything with, but enjoy them for the workmanship.

There is just as much joy in owning them just for what they are.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts