Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for delivery of this 1962 SAA:

I bought it and a 1912 made 1908M .380:

Both in original condition, used but fully functional...the SAA has a George Lawrence rig and the 1908 a Bianchi holster. Looking at the belt it doesn't look like I can get it around my waist. I have gunbelt and several custom made holsters that will work though.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I like it. Looks like somebody used it for a working six gun in the past. Colt made just under 4300 of this variation of the 2nd Generation SAA so not rare. I think the .357 is an underappreciated caliber in the SAA. Yeah, I know it is not one of the original cowboy calibers. The design of the gun makes shooting full-torque magnum loads a pleasure. Enjoy your Colt SAA.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice lookin' piece. Mine is also 357, and could care less if it is the lesser desired caliber. It is more accurate than my Python.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's more accurate, or you shoot it better? I find that I simply shoot SA revolvers more accurately. I think it has to do with the more ergonomic and organic configuration that is more naturally like pointing your finger, but when I use a pistol vice on my shooter python the results are very impressive, and among the best I own if not THE best. I know this gets debated all the time, but my 6" really is an incredibly accurate revolver.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'd love to have one just like it to shoot now & then.

The only SAA in my modest collection is a wood cased Texas Sesquicentennial .45 (made in 1985 for the 1986 celebration) - cylinder is unturned, so I hate to shoot it. Dunno if that would wreck it's value, even if it hasn't appreciated any.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Wow, what a great using six-gun.
Congratulations & thanks for sharing. That is an interesting serial #

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's more accurate, or you shoot it better? I find that I simply shoot SA revolvers more accurately. I think it has to do with the more ergonomic and organic configuration that is more naturally like pointing your finger, but when I use a pistol vice on my shooter python the results are very impressive, and among the best I own if not THE best. I know this gets debated all the time, but my 6" really is an incredibly accurate revolver.
You bring up some good points. I guess it just handles better to me as a weekend warrior. It handles the rounds very smoothly.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My pictures of both guns...

Went to the gun shop to buy some targets this morning and there was a package waiting for me...

Colt 1908 M .380, made in 1912

Colt Single Action Army 2nd Generation, made in 1962. Chambered in .357 Magnum; interesting serial number

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
That's an interesting holster, in the second group of photos.

And a nice SA to boot. I'm sort of keeping my out for a 7 1/2" New Frontier in .357 Magnum. The Colt SA frame is the ideal size for the .357 Magnum round, in my opinion. Current Rugers (except the Flat Tops) are just too oversized for the cartridge, as is the S&W N-Frame series.

Bob Wright

P.S. That front sight seems rather high for a .357 Magnum. Like to see your first shots with the gun.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Bob. The holster (and belt) was custom made for me by Sandy Morrissey of Tennessee; a friend and leather-working master. He's been tooling leather holsters, sheaths, belts, etc. since he got started during WWII. He had to be cut out of a Navy Plane he was flying (stateside in Arkansas) that crashed. The Doctor recommend leather work for therapy. Here's the whole rig:

Handgun holster Revolver Footwear Shoe

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the stocks off the the gun; numbered to the gun; on the right side of the grip frame, probably with an electro-engraver, is the name/date Bill Mayo 1964.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
very nice guns. That 357 has the right amount of character. I would be proud to own either one of those beautiful firearms

1 - 17 of 17 Posts