Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the story behind your user name? Mine is not very clever as most I see. Just Mac for a basic old tightwad Scotsman. What's with Kid Sopris? For Mount Sopris in Colorado, for a former Colorado politician or for the former Colorado town buried under Lake Trinidad? Curious minds...."
Mac

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I had been playing pool all day with a friend. At the end of the day, and after a bunch of beer, I was slumped in the chair. waiting to shoot. My friend started laughing and said I reminded him of Ratzo Rizzo, Dustin Hoffmans character in Midnight Cowboy. (not a real compliment) Well because the first three letters of my last name are Rat, it stuck. That was almost 30 years ago. To this day there are people who only know me as Ratzo.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Mtn because I lived in Colorado for 14 years and really loved living up at close to 9000' ASL :) Spur is the name of my saddlebred sorrel gelding. Thus MtnSpur :) It just came together some years ago...go figger

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is a long story, but suffice it to say I decided I was an ignoramus for spending LOTS of money on a particular brand of firearms when, in my opinion and based on much experience, I could buy better-quality guns for much less money.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
One of my favorite dishes, yum. I also like the single malt that washes it down.

My nickname, Buck, has a more interesting origin. About 40 years ago when I was at DuPont, I was one of the first engineers in industry to use lasers for measurements. After using them in the factory for a while, I became "Buck Rogers and his ray gun", and it stuck.

Buck

·
Registered
280 Posts
Among my hobbies of guns, hunting, fishing, old cars, is cooking. I love to smoke meats outside, trying different types of woods, recipes, rubs etc. The guys at work always said I should open up BBQ place and call it The Smoke House, then one of my co workers started calling me smokehouse, so I started going by the nickname and since the wifes German I changed the spelling to what it is today.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
The M24 Light Tank of late WWII. Don't know why I picked it......mabey because "Wyatt Burp" was already taken! :D

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Kinda obvious, I like...................................:)

I also like and collect prewar Winchester Lever Actions, but Old-Winchesters seemed a little long and of course Old-ColtsandWinchesters seemed like overkill! :D

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Posted this when I first arrived:
Why tarantulakeeper?
Thought I'd take just a minute or two to explain my screen name, especially for those that hate bugs.

I retired from teaching two years ago. I taught either fifth grade or sixth grade teaching all disciplines. I always enjoyed science and kept a couple of corn snakes in my room. At the beginning of each school year I always had students who loved reptiles and those that were afraid of them. Usually by October all the kids were okay with the snakes.
One afternoon in January 1998 we were discussing phobias and one girl asked me what I was afraid of. I answered that I didn't care too much for spiders. Well, tell that to a sixth-grader and the challenge was on. They said I had to overcome my fear.
Searching the internet I found a guy who had a tarantula poster and he'd send along a live tarantula to go with it. So I ordered it and the kids were excited about our new classroom "pet". When it arrived the tarantula was a baby the size of a pencil eraser. Well, the kids were disappointed as was I so I got back on my computer and found a common tarantula from Chili, adult female, for $5. Of course, shipping was $25 so I bought two other tarantulas for a total of 3.
Well, that started ten years of tarantula keeping. My students and I raised babies, charted their growth, their eating habits and behaviors. I trained responsible students to take tarantulas down to the lower grades and give talks. I gave several presentations on using tarantulas in the classroom at the American Tarantula Society's annual convention in New Mexico.
Spiders and snakes are great motivators to interest kids in science. As I progressed in the hobby, joining several forums, I needed a screen name, thus tarantulakeeper.
Now that I'm retired I don't have nearly the number of spiders I once did, but I do have a few. I still take a few spiders back to my old school each year to give a talk and my son teaches 3rd grade so I visit his class.
Anyway, that's my story. I also used to shoot silhouette with a Contender and now that I have more time, hope to get back into either that or bullseye shooting.
Thanks to all for making me feel welcome.
John​

·
Registered
140 Posts
A friend of mine at work gave me the nickname "thetinker" because I was always tinkering with stuff at work needing repair and soon friends at work began bringing in stuff from their home to for me to repair!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Mine is one of the many nick names my late Uncle used to call me and/or any of my other Brothers. Broken Axle - Herman (from herman the German) - Double ugly (i'm not even using that)- etc. -- Just thought it would preserve his memory, at least to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MrChips was the name of a neighbor's horse that we fed sugar cubes to when I was a four year old. I was at the woman's house last week and the stable and fence are still there. When I mentioned him she got all teary-eyed. Thought of him every time I drove by.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts