Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was involved in two interesting conversations here last week, one about SAA's in .45ACP and another about lanyards on SAAs. In both responses I referenced this USFA .45ACP that was tongue in cheek called their "Lend Lease" model. It is a great shooting revolver, and as you can see despite my photography, it is an absolutely beautifully made revolver. It has the most vivid casecoloring I have ever seen, and the detailing is top shelf. Even the lanyard and its' stud are casecolored.
Mouse Wheel

What a beauty.
Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

These were made in very small quantities, as was its sister piece in .30 carbine. The unique 9mm and .40S&W models in the same series were never made. If anyone is interested in how all of those came to be, and the ones that did not come to be, I'd be happy to share the story.
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
Damn that is nice looking.
Revolver Gun Starting pistol

This barrel marking actually got Doug a call from the Colt lawyers as soon as my gun was put on their website, only a few are marked like this.
Revolver Air gun

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, I am kinda new at this and do not get the inside "joke" on the Lend Lease. But I am intrigued about why Turnbull would get sideways with Colt, as I thought he actually had many of their old stamps for restoration work. Maybe that answer is related to the "Lend Lease" question? I was handling a New Frontier at a LGS this weekend, and the case coloring on the gun was miserable, compared to your pictures.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
"If anyone is interested in how all of those came to be, and the ones that did not come to be, I'd be happy to share the story."

SHARE! SHARE!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Bearbait....lend lease is what our government did with England( regarding weapons) before we entered WW2. once we entered the war lend lease was over IIRC.Coltguy.. nice USFA BTW. it's a shame USFA stopped making single actions.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cubrock,

Thanks. Guess I have my Doug's confused.

USS, I am familiar with the WWII Lend Lease, but did not "snap" to it in this reference. I figured the OP was connected to the industry from other posts (have not been here that long) and thought it perhaps had something to do with "lending" to someone for a story/article or pictures. Little to a lot slow this morning.

Craig

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I was handling a New Frontier at a LGS this weekend, and the case coloring on the gun was miserable, compared to your pictures.
Probably an early 3rd Gen NF. My understanding is that Turnbull is performing the case hardening / coloring for Colt on the current production guns.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, my bad...I meant Doug Donnelly, not Turnball....I am in a bit of a fecal tornado at the office right now so I will spin up that yarn a little later today on here.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK.....I need a break from work, here goes......Doug and I where talking over dinner one night, this has to be not long after 9-11.....once we got around to talking guns, somehow we were discussing the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine.....I mentioned a cool issue of American Rifleman I had from the immediate post-WW2 period where a Navy SeaBee was writing in some detail how he wanted a Colt SAA that would shoot .30 carbine, and he had done a lot of figuring on it during quiet times in the Pacific....I was enthralled by the article and had kept it....I asked Doug if his gun would handle it or would it have to be a beast like a Ruger. That morphed into making a limited edition of them, similar to what the fellow had described in the article (7.5", etc)....so I said, well, if you are going to do that, how about a whole series in military calibers? Next we went to .45ACP...and there had been a recent article in the Rampant Colt about a young Lieutenant who ordered a Colt SAA in .45ACP in the very late 1930's so he could use Uncle Sam's ammo....we found the article and the gun pictured above is an attempt to replicate it....the original was in the 357000 serial series, so these were started at 357001 as pictured. Both of these were made in very small quantities (I will get the numbers) and a few of the .30 versions that did not sell were later used for experimental finishes. I actually had an OD green Teflon one that I gave to a wounded warrior event to auction off and it did quite well. The 2 that were never made, and I will have to dig up the specs, were a 9mm and a .40S&W. We had some type of "homeland security" name for them (before those were scary words) if I recall the .40 was going to be a matte rodeo-type finish in 4.75" (called Border Patrol maybe?), and I think the 9mm was either going to be a storekeeper/sheriff/Omni snub in electroless nickel. Maybe a 3.5" but with ejector rod.....I have it all written down somewhere. Anyways, cool ideas, some made it into steel and some never got past the notepad at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Damn, I miss those guns....

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know another forum member just bought a USFA Lend Lease, or at least was on the verge on it last week. I just spoke to Doug, he said they made under 30 of them.....and he has a few personally, ....so therefore we just accounted for 10-15% of them. As I said, it is one of my absolute best single actions, of any make. And I have a few good ones.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I am feeling confused about just what a "USFA .45 ACP SA Lend Lease" would be.

A) As far as I know, no such thing existed.

B ) If it had existed, it would have made no sense whatsoever, and, or additionally, it would have been been in .455 Eley, whether rimmed or Automatic.

C) What are we talking about, exactly?

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is a gun that USFA made ten years ago to replicate a .45ACP SAA that Colt made around 1939 or 1940......that was just a "WW2 type" name they gave it because of the era of the gun being replicated, and the fact it was in the government cartridge. While the gun was a near perfect reproduction of the original, the name is just marketing fun. It was not an attempt to rewrite history I think you are reading to much into it.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I may be eating beans and crackers for the next few weeks, but I had a money order sent out next day for the Lend Lease. I made the FFL request through email, copying both seller and FFL holder to say that its for a revolver by USFA called the Lend Lease... but make no mistake.. with the rarity and cost of it, ( and now essentially irreplaceable ) no one is lending or leasing it these days.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Curious what you paid for it, if you don't mind telling, or PMing me...also, do you know what number it is?

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I certainly don't mind. it was a GB auction buy at $1795 plus shipping. I will see if I can make out the serial. I did some internet research and saw that Alex at Ten Ring had sold one about a year and change ago for the same price. I cant remember if last msrp was $1700 or 1800, so I got lucky that it sold for a reasonable price considering the rarity. The strangest thing to me is that it listed 7 times before I bought it. seller had it on one day auctions but I'm sure it was seen many times. The buy Now price was $2100 or more.. cant remember, but I chanced it with the fact that it was listed many times. The seller only had a couple of photos that were not the best.. who knows. I've bought from him though and the first buy (USFA 3"sheriff with the Bisley hammer, Old Ivory grips serial prefix was US)from him was LNIB as described. For USFA collectors/acquirers like myself, it's finding a gold nugget. For others, maybe they see it as an extremely expensive swivel on a SAA .. anyway, I've always been more lucky than good. I'm thrilled like its Christmas and I'm seeing a 45 ACP barrel poking out the top of my stocking !

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I will get that serial to you when it comes in. The auction had a photo of the front trigger guard with both of those serials middle of the photo, but I just can't make out what the numbers are. The first of it look like they could be letters.. well.. maybe not. can't tell. the serials are just enough of an angle and its so glossy that the light reflection makes it impossible for me to make it out.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts