Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
They are about a half mile away from the old Colt Armory, in a very modern facility.....they do make a very nice single action, although they are making very few these days.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Are they still making any? They never go to SHOT SHOWS , No one offers them ,so what do they do? Longhunter who was their main distributor and seller of tuned guns stopped offering them because they could not deliver on orders. They started off strong ,but have dropped off the radar.

·
Registered
95 Posts
They have a 9-12 month wait time so somebody must be buying them. They are even more difficult to find than a new Colt SAA it would seem.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The grips are real elephant ivory. The owner had them made later on after the gun was made new with wood. The only reason I sold this gun was because it made my "real" Colt SAA's look bad! If Colt made a deal with USFA to mark "Colt" on these guns, both companies would become rich.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm glad to hear some questions come up about USFA, because I have been wondering about them myself for some time. Their web site, while nice looking, does not seem to have had any updates in over a year, including news items.

Their products look very nice, and I was actually thinking of trying to order one for a while. But then I finally found a new Colt P1850 for less than what I would have paid for a non-Colt, so that choice was easy to make.

I also looked at Turnbull's "Open Range" offering (which used USFA white parts) but now they don't offer them anymore on their web site, lending further evidence to something drying up at USFA.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Ditto. There are no upgrades, no products added, promised products never appearing. I do not believe they have have much of a fulltime operation, looks like a mom and pop deal now. The owner is a rich guy who treats it like a hobby. Would expect in the not too distant future to hear they are done. Too expensive, not a Colt. When they offered a nice sa for hundreds less than a Colt ,it made sense, now it doesn't. What made them interesting were the old models no longer offered by Colt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've read that they basically cut most of their staff and are only accepting orders for their "premium" grade guns. The Rodeo is no longer available and you can't find a NIB USFA to save your life.

On the one hand the result is that they command higher prices than they ever have in the past(even more than Colt in some cases) all the while with people lined up waiting for their order to be filled but on the other hand they will never grow their business this way. Its no coincidence that the best selling firearms today are also widely available in most any gun store. Its not hard to find a Glock or a Remington 870.

I also think its important to remember(however impossible it may seem to some here) that many people don't care if its a "Colt" or not so as long as USFA doesn't drive themselves into the ground people will pay as long as the quality level stays high.

·
Registered
331 Posts
While it is a very nice looking SAA it is not a Colt.........with that being said has Colt ever offered a SAA built like this one with nickel and fire blue or is that strictly custom shop stuff?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
They no longer make anything that they used to as far as colt copies of anything. Long guns or revolvers including 1911 types. They are making some junk 22 pistol which I read has issues with functionality. They made beautiful SAA revolvers I had 3 wish I had never sold them but hell who knew. What a shame. They could have passed as originals that is how perfect they were.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
While it is a very nice looking SAA it is not a Colt.

The irony is that that USFA would almost certainly bring more at auction than an identically configured Colt 3rd Gen. Prices on the premium grade USFA single actions have skyrocketed in the last two years.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Yes. The prices don't seem to be letting off as the demand of really nice USFA guns for sale increases. The gun in the original post would sell for significantly more today than it did then, I believe.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for reviving the thread! I wish I had that gun back! But, I got another one in .45 Colt same ivory and NIB as well. Lesson learned, I will hang onto the new one. I have been offered in the $2500 range for the new one but won't sell.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
I have to dig out some cool USFAs and post the pictures when I get time, prototypes, one-offs, show guns, etc.....work keeps getting in the way of fun......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts