Colt Forum banner

1081 - 1093 of 1093 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Two gunslinger models with ivory (both came with black plastic grips now in the boxes). One in the 58XXX range the other 59XXX. Interesting how each one of these you see is different. One of the many reasons I like the USFA single actions, the many different options that were available and the small details that make them unique. Sure, you can get other manufactured SA's with nice CCH but no variety like USFA had available. 1st Gen Colts, Engraved Colts, and USFA single actions have to be my favorites.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Out back Sunday shooting a John Wayne Red River D! Fun times! My 7 year old shooting it, he loves John Wayne. At one house on our ranch in Texas we end up at sometimes we have a TV but no cable so we keep lots of John Wayne DVD's there. He loves watching those as well as Laramie. He had a blast shooting "John Wayne's" pistol ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
What a good Dad you are. Not only teaching and sharing shooting with your son like my Dad did I see he has on safety gear. My Dad did not have use any safety gear just the 10 commandments of gun handling. I really like the Red River revolver wish I had one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Marshal,

You mentioned the differences between your two Gunslingers (did I mention I hate that name). I read some where that USFA did two finishes on these. The first one was more like genuine rusting and the guns would wear quickly and continue rusting if not maintained. Later in the series they came up with an actual finish that looked like aged steel but was in fact quite durable.

I don't know how valid any of that is but the finish on my 7-1/2" 45 Colt seems to hold up pretty well and isn't getting any worse. I'm not sure yet about the 38, I haven't had it that long. Does anyone here know anything about this and can you inform us about this "two finish" rumor I read?

Dave

·
Registered
980 Posts
Dave_T there is some info scattered about in the CASCity USFA forum. Search for Custer, Gunslinger, antique finish, ect. I have noticed that some have a more even gray color and others have a more patchy blue color. My Custer version has an even gray color except for the hammer, which looks blue like they forgot to antique it at all.

·
Registered
581 Posts
LP,

I post over there regularly and have put up pictures of both of my Gunslingers (man, do I hate that name). I think that's where I read there were two finishes on these, but couldn't find it the last time I looked. May have to try again.

Dave

·
Registered
581 Posts
Lonesome Pigeon,

I found the reference/comment I was thinking of and it was right here on the USFA Picture forum.

WWYS said in part:

"Gary had told me that USFA changed antique finish techniques because of the continual rust problem from the first technique.(couldn’t always get it to stop and gun would rust in the box) So they changed it. I think they possibly applied a coating because my John Wayne Red River guns, this Rodeo, Custer, and my late production model Gunslingers all feel smooth despite looking “old and bad”.

That's where I saw it. Right here but a while back.

Dave

·
Registered
581 Posts
saintclair,

I was wondering but didn't ask in the previous post, can you explain the long flutes in the cylinder?

Dave

1081 - 1093 of 1093 Posts