Colt Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1144 Posts

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Dave I've been happy with the giraffe bone I have found on ebay recently. Not hard to fit up and it is bone. Looks older than us if that is possible :)

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Dave_T" said:
I'll try looking for some with my advanced computer skills. (lol)

Dave
I know a guy, who knows a guy :)

"SAA grips

Stabilized Giraffe bone two piece grip blanks. Should work on 2nd and 3rd Gen Colt. I fit a pair to a late 2nd Gen gun and had enough coverage to do the fit right. Corners are cut dang near perfect which really helps but be warned they do take some effort to cut and fit :) Sandpaper is slow. Dremel sanding discs will do it faster. But they polish up nicely even with just sand paper. Likely you'll see some neat colors and "grain" in this pair once you are done. The pair I fit, in the photo below, showed similar contrasts and less colors prior to cutting and fitting than what I am selling now. My guess from fitting just one pair is you wont know what you have for color until you are done. They do make a wonderful feeling with grip and gun in hand. Much like ivory (seriously) but a lot tougher I suspect if cutting them is any indication. $150 shipped priority mail in the US.

This is the first pair I fit. The gun is a late model 2nd Gen.

·
Registered
213 Posts
hvac,

USFA had a late production model they called the Gunslinger (I really hate that name). Over on the USFA section of CAS City forum a previous employee said they first tried just letting the in the white guns "age" but they found that didn't work as they kept on aging...i.e. rusting. They then came up with a durable finish they applied to the steel that looked just like an old revolver with years of handling.

I consider myself fortunate to have the pictured 7.5" 45 Colt with a black powder frame, and a 4-3/4" Colt and S&W Special 38 with a smokeless style frame.

They are nice

View attachment 706343

I'd like to age the stocks on this one too.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my first USFA from Rock Island a couple weeks ago. As you can see, it came with a lot of extras. I bought it mainly because it was a John Wayne edition but now I'm learning a lot about USFA.
:o
Are there any sites out there for USFA with history and such?

My serial number is 2RR so now I'm hoping to find RR2 if it's out there. :D

Oh yeah, I can't figure out what the large square box is for. It has 2 rectangular boxes inside. One without a lid. The black revolver box won't fit into either of them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice score, Beef! I am down to one USFA these days, a premium 4 3/4 I bought used from a member here. The thing is on the money accurate, and tight as a vault. It's my go-to pistola.

Reactions: beefmalone

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
saintclair,

They are just an ivory colored version of the standard black plastic grips on USFAs.

melodians,

I have some of those that need fitting. How did you locate (or re-locate) the pin hole and how did you handle fitting with the existing border on the edge of those? I've been afraid trimming and conturing them to fit would do away with the border, or just mess it up to the point of ugly - lol.

Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
I believe saintclair is referring to the John Wayne guns above. I have some of them and the grips on beefs look much different. His are one piece and appear to be ivory. Mine and others I have seen have “tru-ivory” two piece grips. I have seen quite a bit of variation in the “grain” on the (faux ivory) - tru ivory grips though.
I will be interested to see if he lets us know if they are real! They sure look nice in the pics.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
" His are one piece and appear to be ivory. "

Nice looking grips for sure. But it you take a 2nd look both grips have the same tell tale "bark lines" on both sides that show they are synthetic and not ivory. Likely Buffalo Brothers or something like them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hmm they do look identical on each side, I should have looked closer. You appear to be correct! :cool:
Thanks for pointing that out. Still nice looking I think.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dave, I was wrong as well but was kindly corrected above :). Back to your question, I too would like to hear melodians process for fitting those grips. They also look nice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks Mark. Your step by step description was excellent. Now I have to screw up my courage, limber up the arthritic fingers, and give it a try. (smile)

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
USFA Lend Lease guns

These are technically from the "Patriot" series according to Blue Book of Gun Values. I think USFA stuck with Lend Lease for the model name. These are really nice guns as they came standard premium armory (AB) blued, 45 ACP caliber, 5-1/2" barrel and the casehardened frame, hammer, and lanyard ring. Lend Lease guns also have a Serial prefix of 357xxx . Production numbers are an approximation from speaking with management. Around 50 is what I recall.
I have acquired 3 and a close eye on the barrel rollmarks will demonstrate an interesting USFA factoid. The first guns, and I'm not sure of the number, (but guesstimate the first 15 guns) had the first production rollmark of
AUTOMATIC COLT PISTOL 45
Mine is 357013
Restoring peace in the valley, further production rollmarks were changed to 45 AUTOMATIC
My example is 357035

And last, but being ultimately first- I have 357000 that was acquired from USFA management that was the first Lend Lease. It too has the first barrel rollmark of course.

Beautiful Guns!

·
Registered
6 Posts
USFA Lend Lease guns

These are technically from the "Patriot" series according to Blue Book of Gun Values. I think USFA stuck with Lend Lease for the model name. These are really nice guns as they came standard premium armory (AB) blued, 45 ACP caliber, 5-1/2" barrel and the casehardened frame, hammer, and lanyard ring. Lend Lease guns also have a Serial prefix of 357xxx . Production numbers are an approximation from speaking with management. Around 50 is what I recall.
I have acquired 3 and a close eye on the barrel rollmarks will demonstrate an interesting USFA factoid. The first guns, and I'm not sure of the number, (but guesstimate the first 15 guns) had the first production rollmark of
AUTOMATIC COLT PISTOL 45
Mine is 357013
Restoring peace in the valley, further production rollmarks were changed to 45 AUTOMATIC
My example is 357035

And last, but being ultimately first- I have 357000 that was acquired from USFA management that was the first Lend Lease. It too has the first barrel rollmark of course.

I have 3570015 Patriot Lend/Lease. One of my favorites.

1101 - 1120 of 1144 Posts