Colt Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1144 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
These two more usfa’s In 32-20 (32wcf) came along later. One has the factory Tru-Ivories and the top one is real special.
A couple of years after USFA closed down, I had orchestrated a large deal between buyer and seller that totaled 45 USFA guns in all. All NIB and from USFA custom shop. These guns were all special in some way. Flattops, engraving, Armory blued , custom grips, and combinations of all therein. In brokering the deal, the seller allowed me to pick two guns to buy out of the group first and at what we both considered a low price. I picked one Armory blued engraved 45LC Flattop ... which took most of my funds at the time. .. so I also picked the ONLY gun in the whole pile that was basically a standard model. .. the only one with no engraving , no special stocks, standard. I could afford to add that as the second one. It was in 32wcf.
It did occur to me how odd it was that, out of 45 USFA custom shop guns, there is the one plain Jane standard. Hmmm.
Well, the seller ships the two guns to me and the engraved ARmory blued Flattop is amazing of course.. but there sits the 32-20 with its standard HR grips it being a regular ol SA. So I’m looking it over with my puzzler puzzling .. and then I discovered why this gun was being kept with the others. It had a note in the box from USFA that it’s the FIRST 32-20 that USFA produced..
...it’s USA parts made... serial 23161. I’ve always been more lucky than good. :)

I think I might have wound up with two of those guns. One was a Lend/Lease 45ACP and the other an engraved 7 1/2” flattop 22/22mag convertible. I picked them up from a dealer at the KC Collectors show. He said that he’d sold all the others for the owner and these were found afterwards at the back of his safe. Felt very fortunate to have had the chance to own them.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I have a bunch of all USA made a USFA single actions, and had an opportunity to buy three from Doug Turnbull claiming they were the last three they had to finish out and sell. They may have had them for awhile, don’t know, but I bought them before they had before they had even been finished. Was hoping to get the three in sequential numbers but only two were together. All chambered in .45 long Colt, 7 1/2”. They are finished in a more flat black finish than the usual Turnbull guns but the workmanship on the guns is beautiful. The serial numbers have me wondering though. I haven’t ever run across any like these. Numbers shown on the guns are 6644, 6645, 6648. They are all 100% US guns. Any thoughts on what these were earmarked for, before the company went out of business? The price for these guns was much less expensive than I would have thought. I’ve attached pics for you to look over. Let me know what you think. Thanks to everyone for sharing their guns. Sure hope someday a book can be written about
6B575261-4768-497E-B7DC-30B979666F06.jpeg
BAEFA602-0C5B-4FD2-AAF1-4D7DF9A45059.jpeg
B760E71E-F248-4D77-92C5-67033CEEB7B1.jpeg
FF7EA5AF-92A9-47F5-8F95-1BD7D274C781.jpeg
E965DF8C-109C-4437-BCC7-83B42B79D8B8.jpeg
8DC12E6F-D528-419E-9DC3-CE8CD7751A6B.jpeg
7E983D0F-AF7C-43E3-A43C-4708B5CA1E73.jpeg
DD94635E-7A29-43CA-A8AC-1B311C449360.jpeg
A1B883DD-38E8-497A-BF0D-D4CE904F86A8.jpeg
5BD3F999-1A32-4FA3-985F-B8BD7B8A384D.jpeg
the USFA company. Great guns.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Neat guns. I'd bet they were custom numbers to duplicate the "Custer Range US Martial Colt 1873 revolvers", whose range runs from 0001 to about 7,000.

Black Powder frames indicate that as well, sadly Turnbull didn't finish them off with his carbona blue, the BP checkerd/bordered hammers and one piece walnut grips. BP frames and square notch rear sights are also special order ....or a mistake at the factory cutting the frames. Should have the trigger guards and back straps numbered to the frame on the outside of both as well. Do the square notch rear sights mate to a square front sight? Or a narrow blade front sight?

Just 3 of many, one off guns, one of a kind guns from USFA I suspect.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
The squared front and rear sights typical of a cross pin, "smokeless" frame.

No matter, nice guns as is. And should have been a lot less expensive that the "full monte" version they could have been. Could still be.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Holster, thanks for posting these. I am a sucker for BP frames. I'd have bought all three of them too. And, great pictures!

Dave

·
Registered
592 Posts
OD,

Be careful. If Colt sees those stocks on that gun they're likely to sue you like they did USFA. (lol)

I acquired a 5-1/2" Gunslinger (did I mention I hate that name) a few months ago, 45 Colt of course, but I haven't taken a picture of it yet as it has that dreaded smokeless, cross pin frame. Guess I should take a picture and share it with the folks here anyway. (smile)

Dave

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nice Rodeo OD. The cracked grips are a nice touch.

Holster750 those are interesting guns. I wonder if they were originally intended to be Custer/Ainsworth models. My Custer model is very close in numbers to yours. Mine is #6680, just 32 away from your #6648.
Custer Battlefield 02c.jpg

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nice Rodeo OD. The cracked grips are a nice touch.

Holster750 those are neat guns. I wonder if they were originally intended to be Custer/Ainsworth models. My Custer model is very close in numbers to yours. Mine is #6680, just 32 away from your #6648.
View attachment 709778

·
Registered
592 Posts
1stgen,

I have it's kissing cousin, also with a 24,XXX serial number, but mine has the black powder frame.

My only disappointment is the polished sides on the hammer. A gun crafted this closely to a 1st Gen Colt BP should have the hammer case hardened. I have another one with a slightly earlier serial number (still built from USA sourced parts) that does have the case hardened hammer. It is beautifuler (smile).

Dave

·
Registered
779 Posts
1stgen,

I have it's kissing cousin, also with a 24,XXX serial number, but mine has the black powder frame.

View attachment 710976

My only disappointment is the polished sides on the hammer. A gun crafted this closely to a 1st Gen Colt BP should have the hammer case hardened. I have another one with a slightly earlier serial number (still built from USA sourced parts) that does have the case hardened hammer. It is beautifuler (smile).

Dave
What's funny is I said the same thing about the hammer. I also have a later USFA ser# 266xx that has the case hardened hammer. From what I have learned, it seems you would either have to special order that option or sometimes USFA added that option to random guns to make them more appealing, to Colt fans I'm guessing. Really no way to know for sure because there is no records or database to look at.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Likely mid to late 2010. 28000 serial numbers were the last of SAA production from USFA which ended in 2011.

1121 - 1140 of 1144 Posts