Colt Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,146 Posts
I don’t remember if Gary ever told me an definitive estimate in how many singles and pairs of Red River D guns that were originally planned for production.. Im pretty sure that I was told that they did not meet the planned amount.
I believe that Terry’s is the only factory pair that I’ve ever seen - for sale or otherwise. If they’re out there, owners have held on to those Red River D’s.
Robin Hollow had this engraved Red River pair for sale. JW2 and 2JW

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/usfa-pistols---revolvers/u-s-f-a--john-wayne-red-river-commemorative-set--45-lc.cfm?gun_id=100864208

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have always liked the antiqued look on blued revolvers, and the antiqued Rodeo looks great. I have a pair of the brushed nickel Rodeo II's. Any idea what can be done with those to achieve some sort of antiqued finish?

·
Premium Member
7,372 Posts
The Rodeo II usually has a significantly more resale value than the standard Rodeo. Standard rodeo being in the $1K price range if you keep eyes open and searching in the right places, although gunbroker asking prices tend to be a few hundred more( .... but are they selling for that... maybe slowly).
Rodeo II’s tend to sell for over $1500 .. $1600 range. (They have sold for more before they sort of topped out and settled.)
So what I’m saying is the Rodeo tends to be more popular to alter for basically no money or little money involved to antique.
If you follow the forum here, Cozmo, judging by sheer examples, has altered several Rodeo’s with upgrades, usually with added engraving and refinish.
I can’t remember if he’s sent off Rodeo II’s or not. I’m fairly sure that no one else has.
All that said, if rodeo II is what you have and you want to alter it, I’m partial to that antiqued nickel look that I believe Nutmeg does. Probably others too. I think that’s the look you’re after if your talking antiquing a Rodeo II. Only thing is, I don’t believe it’s just a process that makes the current finish look antique nickel. I think it’s a re-finish of the gun that they do to make it look like that.... so it would be an added cost to do that.
I like it though. I’m thinking about doing a standard Rodeo of mine like that.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Wyo said:
...I have a pair of the brushed nickel Rodeo II's. Any idea what can be done with those to achieve some sort of antiqued finish?

Easy enough to do on a Rodeo II. All it takes is some elbow grease and a Birchwood-Casey lead removal cloth. Gives a decent antique nickel finish when done. Others here have followed this example and been happy I believe.

What Nutmeg describes as antique nickel is actually "black nickel" that gets polished and looks the least like well worn older Colt nickel jobs. More like a hard chrome that was then ink baked on engraved guns. It does look "different" on a smooth gun. I believe you can do better on a Rodeo II, with little effort and no money. If nothing else you aren't going to hurt the gun with a B-C cloth.

Top to bottom here:

Colt bright nickel

Nutmeg antique nickel

Colt bright nickel

A&A antique nickel

50 year old silver plate

My Rodeo II looks more like the A&A antique nickel which in turn I think is the finish that best represents 100 year old Colt nickeled guns. Guess I need to do another photo and add a new Rodeo II and a antiqued Rodeo II.

·
Premium Member
7,372 Posts
I remember when RH first listed those.. I think they had a larger price on the set. The JW2-2JW is the only set I’ve seen for sale. I want to say that I saw the JW1-1JW listed, but It was years ago. It could have been that same set selling the first time maybe.
Nice though. I wanted too many other USFA models at the time to collect up enough cash to spring for that set, but you know I was wishing!

·
Premium Member
7,372 Posts
Aww. See now. Your slipping.. I was counting on some good photos and much more free research after pokin the bear.

You must be tired or busy
:)

My word to the wise for anyone who does want to antique a Rodeo II.. just be sure that’s what you want. The antiqued Rodeo will sell on gunbroker for pretty close to what an average used rodeo will sell for.
I can say I’ve kept a keen eye on USFA auctions and never seen a finish altered Rodeo II for sale.. it would take a pretty big hit from original street value. It probably can look pretty cool. .. just saying it’s a bigger decision. I don’t have a lot of Rodeo II’s , so I’m not considering it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I used Cosmo's recommended lead removal cloth and elbow grease. Haven't tried posting pictures in a while but here goes.

DSC00160.jpg DSC00161.jpg

I think I need to spend another day or two on this but at least it doesn't look like an IPSC competition gun from the '80s anymore. (smile)

Dave

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Dave_T said:
I think I need to spend another day or two on this...
Dave I see the one obvious mistake you have made on that gun while working on the finish...…..

You haven't shipped it to mememmememememememememmeememe yet :)
It looks good pard. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
7,372 Posts
Very nice, Dave T.
... Like polishing the Genie’s lamp... you polished and some magic appeared. :)

.. and if ever you decide to sell it, sounds like Hoody is a potential buyer...
unless now he’s talking about GIVING it.. in that case, might I talk you in to considering a raffle or drawing at that said date and time !!! :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks for the kind words but I still think it needs a bit more "aging". I have a reconstructed shoulder I'm nursing back to health (and strength) so it will be a while before I can tackle it again.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
Easy enough to do on a Rodeo II. All it takes is some elbow grease and a Birchwood-Casey lead removal cloth. Gives a decent antique nickel finish when done. Others here have followed this example and been happy I believe.

What Nutmeg describes as antique nickel is actually "black nickel" that gets polished and looks the least like well worn older Colt nickel jobs. More like a hard chrome that was then ink baked on engraved guns. It does look "different" on a smooth gun. I believe you can do better on a Rodeo II, with little effort and no money. If nothing else you aren't going to hurt the gun with a B-C cloth.

Top to bottom here:

Colt bright nickel

Nutmeg antique nickel

Colt bright nickel

A&A antique nickel

50 year old silver plate

My Rodeo II looks more like the A&A antique nickel which in turn I think is the finish that best represents 100 year old Colt nickeled guns. Guess I need to do another photo and add a new Rodeo II and a antiqued Rodeo II.
Really beautiful guns! I probably won’t do anything with the Rodeo II’s. I use one occasionally and the other one is unfired in the box - definitely won’t mess with that one. But every once in a while I get a wild hair and do something like an antique job. I’ve done such with blued guns but never have seen it done with nickel. Thanks for the show!

·
Registered
6,689 Posts

Top to bottom here:

antiqued Rodeo II

Colt bright nickel

Nutmeg antique nickel

Colt bright nickel

A&A antique nickel

50 year old silver plate

My polished Rodeo II looks more like the A&A antique nickel which in turn I think both look closer to the finish that best represents 100 year old Colt nickeled guns. Did what I could to easily add the Rodeo II for comparison photo :) I'll a better photo when I get the chance.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts