Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told this is the place to come to for people who know about USFA revolvers. If it's the wrong place, I apologize and ask the mods to move/remove it as needed.

I bought a USFA "SAA" a couple of days ago. It's in immaculate condition, unfired outside the factory as best I can tell. It was in the box, with all the papers (that I would expect to find anyway) and a cloth bag for the gun. S/N is in the very low 24000 range. The little envelope with the spent cartridge is dated April, 2006.

It's a 45 Colt, with a 4 1/2? 4 5/8" barrel? Very nice blue, with a color case hard frame. Normally I'm not a S/A guy, but this thing was so pretty I didn't hesitate but a few seconds before putting it on hold for pickup the next day.

Some lousy pictures..

I paid 1300 for it. No idea if that's good, bad, or indifferent. I figured I wasn't going to find something like it for much less. I did know they have a reputation for being really nice guns. I was even able to secure a box of 45 Colt ammo for not a lot less than the price of the gun. ;)

I'm guessing the date on the envelope is pretty close to the manufacture date. What I'm wondering is a couple of people have said they were made with Uberti parts, then later switched to all US parts. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it either way, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to tell. Information on the SN's seems pretty sketchy at best.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Show me a pic of the checkering on the hammer and I can tell you right away. Also, under the cylinder pin printed on the barrel in VERY small print is A. Uberti if it's an all Uberti parts gun. If it doesn't have the printing it's either all US made or made with US and Uberti parts. Depending on what the hammer checkering tells me I can nail it one way or another.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Congrats on a great gun at a great price..
A lot of folks use the serial number as well as the hammer to determine if it's a USA made gun.
I only own 1 USFA and it's a real tack driver.

Here's a link that I found to be a good read.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations. That is an ALL US made gun.
As the kids say..."Cool Beans."

Thanks. I wouldn't have been really upset if it wasn't, but I'm glad it is.

Now I just need to get time to fire it.

Reactions: Bartleylaw

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Very nice price. You almost stole it. I have two USFA's, a .44 Special and a .44-40 WCF. Haven't shot them yet, but will eventually.

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
There are several aspects that determine parts origin of of USFA guns. Serial number - it’s well into USA parts. there are several variations in USA parts hammer checkering, it’s USA.
by the time USFA was using the non-hinged “lift top” black box style , all guns were USA parts. because box styles, Have to look at the gun to make the parts distinction to be sure it goes with the box when the label is missing, If the FACTORY label is on the box, it’s as good as a letter.
Dane has a lot of exacting info on determining parts origin, and one of the things he points out is the hinge area of the loading gate at the frame. You’ll have to see the pics to identify and understand one.
another easy one is the front sight shape On the early usfa’s.

basically, if the serial is above 2300, you’re good.

thats a good looking good and bargain at that price.
Just fyi, they measure barrel length from the front edge of the cylinder to muzzle On all brands of revolvers. yours appears to be 4-3/4” since the ejector housing is about the same length. The standard USFA (and Colt) lengths are 4-3/4”, 5-1/2”, and 7-1/2”. excluding factory sheriffs, It’s unusual to see odd lengths (4” , 6”. Etc ) , but USFA did do customizations and it’s likely the price will reflect it if the owner knows what he has.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew about the barrel lengths, but was too lazy to actually measure it. I didn't want to trust my memory to rather Colt or Ruger used 4 3/4" or 4 5/8" inch. I knew standard for one was one, and the other the other, but I couldn't remember which, so just sort of picked a "close enough for government work" number.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's a beautiful revolver. What a bonus for the experts to confirm it's US production. I'm learning more about these guns with every thread I read. Thanks to all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts