Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wrote a couple of days ago about my kids great grandfather. Today we cruised over to Mobile Bay to see Battleship Park. We toured USS Alabama, SS-228 USS Drum (diesel attack boat), the war planes outside (including a B-52, and a B-25), and the planes in their hangar. I'm not saying it rivals the aviation museum at NAS Pensacola (which it truely incredible), but they do have some amazing exhibits, including a Mig-15, an A-12/SR-71, a beautifully restored PBR, and many more. You can check it all out here: USS ALABAMA BATTLESHIP If you're in the area take the time, it is well worth it. So, we're getting ready to leave and going through the gift shop where the exit is, and there is an older gentleman sitting at a table with some books laid out on it. It's pretty easy to notice his WWII Veteran cover and a ribbon board that belongs on a Soviet general. I nod, and as I look down at the books I stopped dead in my tracks (my wife ran into me). The title is, "Hell's Guest", and the man is Col. (Ret) Glen D. Frazier. I recognized his face immediately from the Ken Burns documentary, but did not remember his name or that he had written a book! Colonel Glenn D. Frazier ? Hell's Guest | "he tells it only as an honest soldier can, straight from the heart" Of course I bought a book, and he inscribed it for me, and even made a few notes on the margins of a couple of pages as we talked. I said that I knew the history, didn't want any spoilers, but my only question is, "What do you think of McCarthur?". He said, "Well, we didn't like him." That's about as diplomatic as it gets from a Batan survivor. I asked what he weighed at Corigadore, and what his body weight got down to, and he said 220 (very little fat) and the lowest he got was 106. They put them to work at one point loading freighters with rice, tofu, and raw fish. The POWs stole and ate the uncooked rice, raw fish, and tofu when they could, and he said he gained 40 of it back. He was a joy to meet, and obviously a deeply spiritual man. We wished blessing on each other and on our families as we parted. I am really looking forward to reading this when I get home. I have the big picture, but its the first person narratives that really bring the history to life. It would seem Alabama is lousy with real, American heroes. It is also a beautiful state full of friendly, kind people! I love it down here! Why is my spacing and paragraphs being all smashed together?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts