Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Value check on \".357 Magnum \"

Boy,Drifter,I don't know! While I have as many older Colts as S&Ws,the "357",is one of the real sleepers,among Colts. We have discussed this model many times here on the Forum,and a "search" should help you.

That is a great looking gun,and I have a 6" version(with target stocks) in a similiar condition,and a very early 4",in "carry gun" condition.

A dedicated Colt Collector would surely want the gun. You did NOT mention anything about the box,papers etc.,but without them,I am saying $500,minimum from the photo. It isn't in the "collectable category",and price range,that an early 60's Python is,but to me,it is just as smooth,and a heck of lot easier to carry.

Now,you have to find someone with an S&W,with a minimum value of $500. I am sure others will jump in with their price estimate. Best of luck. Bud

·
Registered
312 Posts

I recently purchased one serialed 500 lower than yours, it is in 85 to 90% condition. I think your valuation is fair. I have over 400$ in mine. The stocks look very clean on yours.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

With S&W collectors and Colt collectors being in 2 entirely different camps you might not get a whole lot of offers for trading. I aquire (can't really call myself a collector) both, but for Smiths I only like their N-frames.
If you don't find a trade you like then selling it won't be much of a problem. I'll quickly get in line if you put it up for trade. The 357 is a great revolver that many don't know about and yours looks to be in excellent shape. I have a first year shooter w/6" barrel that can shame some Pythons

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Very nice looking 357 Model Revolver. The stocks look very nice! I believe Colt only made something like 15,000 of these (if I remember my references). So, they are not common by any stretch of the imagination. $500ish or a bit more is probably about right. Current Blue Book lists it at $525 in 98% condition which should give you a reference point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Value check on \".357 Magnum \"

Wondering if any of your here could help me determine a market value for this .357 Magnum, circa 1960 revolver?

I want to trade it out of my collection for a Smith and Wesson of similar value.

It's condition is 98% with no edge wear. The only perceptable wear is a slight turn line on the cylinder, and maybe a very small random handling mark here and there. Serial number is: 2367X. Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
535 Posts

Drifter721,
No help here for an S&W trade but I'd be interested in buying. I'll watch the classifieds from this forum and get with you, if you're interested. Or, feel welcome to email me. FWW, as much as I'd like to have your .357, have you shot it? I do believe if you like the K's and or L's from S&W, you'd love these old Colts. For guys that like the N frames, well ... I think they're all by themselves in that league. I used to think the S&W #19 was the living end of revolvers - years ago, until I tried a then-current, original model Trooper, which is the plainer version of your 357. To me, the 357 Colt is like a 55 Packard!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts