Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about a few Pythons.

I've got two 4" nickel Pythons, both about the same condition...ca. 98/99%. One is in the 79XXX serial range and has nickel sights. The other is V91xxx and has black sights. Stocks are different styles, too. That's about the only differences I see in the guns.

I assume the 79xxx range gun is earlier. But is there any real difference in value or desirability on the nickel guns, based on year and features?

I also have two first year production Pythons. One appears original and perhaps 98% or so. The other is more like 99+%, but I believe the stocks have been changed. The collector had a box full of Python stocks, so I may be able to correct the stocks on the one.

I know Python values have declined recently in many cases. But I'm curious if 1st year guns have really been impacted that much? There are other Pythons, as well, in this collection. But no sense about asking about too many guns at once.

I'm not really looking to specific dollar estimates, or I'd include images. More just looking for general opinions about which nickel 4" would be most desirable, and what the general Python market is like right now.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
The gun with nickel sights should have Type 2 target stocks with gold medallions and nickel screw and escutcheon. Also many of these early nickel guns (all?) will correctly have a flat, blue rear sideplate screw under the stocks.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I've got two 4" nickel Pythons, both about the same condition...ca. 98/99%. One is in the 79XXX serial range and has nickel sights. The other is V91xxx and has black sights. Stocks are different styles, too. That's about the only differences I see in the guns.

I assume the 79xxx range gun is earlier. But is there any real difference in value or desirability on the nickel guns, based on year and features?

I also have two first year production Pythons. One appears original and perhaps 98% or so. The other is more like 99+%, but I believe the stocks have been changed. The collector had a box full of Python stocks, so I may be able to correct the stocks on the one.

I know Python values have declined recently in many cases. But I'm curious if 1st year guns have really been impacted that much?

I'm not really looking to specific dollar estimates, or I'd include images. More just looking for general opinions about which nickel 4" would be most desirable, and what the general Python market is like right now.

Thanks,
Scott
The 1968 nickel ,if all original, no box, excellent- probably 200-300 more than a similar 1980. If was LNIB or NIB ,larger difference for the 1968.

The Python market in general has pulled back, like most other Colts/firearms in general - except for high condition collector units, which have not.
The 1960-68's collector units doing well.

Regarding 1950's, especially first year 1955- not much selling activity it seems, doubt they have pulled back much (on high condition, all original).Quite a few non-originals out there, marked diminution of value on these.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate all the expertise. I forgot to ask...does nickel bring any premium over blue?

I just ordered 8 factory letters; one for each of these Pythons and four on .45 autos. I doubt the letters will enhance value much, but I'd rather know what I've got than be told later what I had.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Nickel over blue...well there were many more blued guns made so based on numbers, nickel is more rare and likely more of a premium IF the nickel is pristine (no copper showing or chips or flakes). here is an article/info on high level production numbers. the American handgunner article is neat to read! http://www.coltforum.com/forums/python/88093-python-production-numbers.html

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Although CA doesn’t apply in this conversation but to throw out there,Nickel here will fetch $1000 more then a blue,all
Other things being equal.

Reactions: Scott Gahimer

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, thanks. That's good to know. It's amazing how values can vary so much on the same items in the market we have today. Auctions and sales are not limited by state borders online. I suppose there are distressed areas in the country where things simply don't sell as high as other places. But it always makes me wonder why sellers in the distressed areas wouldn't just sell everything online to overcome that.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Scott,here in CA,Pythons can’t be brought in from any states outside CA. What’s here IN STATE is the only thing that
can be sold between two individuals. There are exceptions but rare. So I had to wait for a willing seller to advertise
His gun for sale,if I didn’t like his price someone else might,hence the inflated prices. FYI

Just saw a sale of a documented Colorado State Police Python from 1972 that was reblued by Colt and sold
between two individuals for $4200 here in CA.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
[But it always makes me wonder why sellers in the distressed areas wouldn't just sell everything online to overcome that.]
Most people here are probably younger than me, I am going on 77. The younger generation was raised with computers and probably was taught to use them in primer school where us old boys weren't. I didn't buy my first one until I retired. All guns I sold were at gun shows. We didn't worry about boxing, shipping and the legality's. Only a couple times did I have to find a dealer to bless the deal and towards the end of my gun show days there was always a dealer set up at the shows where buyer and seller would walk over together and have them do the paperwork. I lived in California in those days when I was more active with the gun show scene back up to the early 1980`s. For awhile we did the gun-show circuit thing. The odd thing was it depended on what town the show was in. Everyone was starting to get "gun shy" and some city's had "overkill" on made up regulations as how business should be done to be "on the safe side", that other shows at other towns didn't. That slowed me to a halt. Not being familiar with selling on line is still probably hurting used guns sales more than we could guess. If us old poops weren't afraid of the ropes I bet there would be a huge new wave of collector classic guns hit the market. Also us old boys aren't big on using a middle man or pay a outside party $50 or $70 bucks to "bless" a deal. We didn't make our money that easy and when you no longer are able to work and make more, it makes you more cautious and slow to act. God, I now am sounding like my dad!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Also many of these early nickel guns (all?) will correctly have a flat, blue rear sideplate screw under the stocks.
Never heard or seen that before. All nickel guns I have ever seen have nickel sideplate screws. My old '64 nickel Python had nickel screws.

When it comes to Python desirability, I'm a firm believer the early Pythons will hold the most value and collectibility for many reasons. The main reason I feel this way is due to production numbers and output quality. Just compare some serial charts and play some games with production numbers. It's very interesting to know that half of all approx. 650K Pythons produced were made in a 7yr span from '75-'81. So that means the other half of production makes up about 48yrs of production while the other half makes up 7yrs of production. The smallest of these numbers is the first decade of production, and the best quality in my eyes, '55-'65. You can plainly see a difference between examples from different eras, or at least I can.

Which group will have better quality and attention to build/finishing details?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts