Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue steel Gen. III (shrouded ejector) Det. Spl. that is about 98%, no box or papers, and the grips are target Pachmayers. It dates back to the early to mid '80's. As I'm technically challenged there are no pics to post but believe me when I say it is a very nice snubbie. With all that I'm considering selling it (FTF - will not ship) and was wondering if an initial asking price of $600/OBO was unreasonable. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
With apologies for thread drift, and with the reference to "Gen 3" in this thread, it seems like this would be a good place to again offer the rationale for avoiding such terms as "Gen 3."

The Detective Special was introduced in 1927 as a variation of the Police Positive Special. These early guns had a square butt. I would call these guns "First Generation." In 1933, the butt was changed to what Colt calls "round butt," which would be Second Generation. After World War II, the front sight was changed from round to ramped, which I would call Third Generation. These early Post-War guns had plastic stocks, which were changed to wood in the mid-1950s. I do not consider the stock material as another generation, but some might. In 1966, the butt frame was shortened, which is Fourth Generation. In 1972, the shrouded barrel was introduced, which I count as Fifth Generation. In 1984, Colt introduced a "discount" version of the Detective Special with matte finish called the Commando. Some might consider that another generation of the Detective Special. I do not because the Detective Special remained in production during that time. The Detective Special and Commando were discontinued for 1987. Colt redesigned the lockwork in 1995 and introduced the SF-IV, which could be called the Sixth Generation. It was replaced by the DS-II in 1997, which could be called the Seventh Generation. The DS-II was discontinued after 1998. The Magnum Carry was introduced in 1999 and could be called the Eighth Generation. The Magnum Carry was discontinued in 1999, along with all other Colt revolvers except the Python.

It seems to me the best way to identify a Colt Detective Special is either by year or period of manufacture and/or by features (such as Pre-War Square Butt, Post-1965 -- Pre-1972, abbreviated butt and unshrouded ejector rod, etc.). As I have tried to illustrate, there are a lot more "generations" than the "Blue Book" recognizes. I think it is therefore best to avoid the misleading "generation" nomenclature issue!

That said, I agree that the market value of the subject Detective Special is about as speculated.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
, which I the SF-IV, which could be called the Sixth Generation. It was replaced by the DS-II in 1997, which could be called the Seventh Generation. The DS-II was discontinued after 1998. The Magnum That said, I agree that the market value of the subject Detective Special is about as speculated.
Also known as the SF-VI :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all that weighed in and a special thanks to Judge Colt for the education about the various generations of Colt revolvers. Mine was manufactured around 1984 and has the ejector rod underlug on the barrel.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
My "picky" response was a good-natured jab at those who do not find any value in correct nomenclature (for example, the "1911" term being applied to commercial Government Models), even though they may type better than I do! (Transposing letters while is a common problem for me, most of which are caught by my spell-check, but when the transposition results in a correctly-spelled word, some strange results can appear.)

Old Cop, note the "small" :eek: error that saemetric pointed out in "IV" and "VI" issue!

ralph7, that title has a nice ring to it, but perhaps you could amend it to "Paragon of Correctness?"

·
Registered
764 Posts
Judge, I hope you copy and paste these replies. This has to be the 10th time I've seen a response like this. Why does this topic get you going so much?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I thought the SF-VI , stood for small frame 6 shot. So, does this mean that Colt was thinking like judgecolt in that the VI stood for the 6th "generation":rolleyes:

With regard to the original post, For that version DS in 98% but with non original packmyers, Id say $450 to $500 would be in the ball park But, asking $600 is of course is worth a try. And on gunbroker could get $600

1 - 10 of 10 Posts