Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon I will see a man that has an early 2 digit (as in 1x) Python that is unfired and boxed. To me this revolver one of my ultimate treasures. I've known of this gun for over 3 years and he has no intention to sell. How much money (or how long) will it take to pry this gun from his skeleton? He's in his 80's, owns a gun shop and has purchased new Colt's from Colt for more than 60 years. He got this Python new from Colt due to his exceptional reputation. His son is now taking over the business. I think the angle is to work with the original purchaser. Thoughts?

BTW: the box of these very early (2-digit only) Pythons is yellow/black and I've never seen one.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
A true 2 digit would the first few weeks of production.
A genuine NIB would be worth a load of money.

Since nothing like this ever comes on the public market, there's absolutely no way to even guess at a value.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Is the box black and yellow, or just the end label? I assume it is the wood grain box with the green interior and black and yellow label. Please take a good look at the box. A picture would be nice. (Include the gun if possible.) I am particularly wondering if the top of the box has the word "Colt" in gold letters cetered on the lid. Exactly what does the end label say? What tools are present? If present, how are they packed? What paperwork is included? Describe the oil paper or other wrapping paper. Is the serial number written on the bottom of the box? If so, is it in heavy black marker? Or grease pencil? Or?

I would GUESS the gun is worth $5,000-$6,000, maybe more, especially if a Boa is worth (rather sells for) $3,000! If I owned it, I would not sell if for those figures.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I think the angle is to work with the original purchaser. Thoughts

[/ QUOTE ]
This man is in his 80s. He owns his own business and bought this revolver 60 years ago. Not only he has never fired it, but says he has no intention of selling it. He has a son taking over the business so there is someone for the revolver to be passed down to. Why do you think you can get it from him somehow. You can try, but I think that Python is a part of their family and won't be going anywhere. Money is not always the object especially if it's not needed and it sounds like they don't need the money.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Man my mouth is watering. Good luck on the whole process, no matter how you choose to persue it.
Maybe you should just try to trade him a NIB Python Elite.
Tell him that the Elite means it's better than that Old gun he has.... Ha ha ha /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
That would be a center piece for any Colt DA collector.
Seriously good luck Addicted.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never seen the package but the man claims that the entire box is yellow/black (the primary color is yellow and it's accented in black) and it only applies to the first approx. 100 guns. After that the switch was made to the wood grain box that you described.

I believe the angle I should take is talk him into allowing me to "view" the package....and then request to take photos. I am most interested in the box and it's contents. This man is genuine and very humble gent. He's so nonchalant about the gun that he rarely talks about it. When he does talk about the gun it's like he has to dig far into him memory bank to recall the details but each time we do talk the yellow/black box is the first thing he recalls. It's been along time since he's viewed it.

This man did "earn" the gun as I believe he was most likely one of the top sales dealer for Colt. This gun was a treasure to him for many decades but I wonder how dear to his heart it still is today.

When treasures sell I believe its more important to the seller that it goes to the right home. How much money is a secondary factor.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Addicted,

If I was the old boy, I'd want to know that it was going to a good caretaker/custodian and not for resale. As we get older, we realize that this stuff isn't really "ours", but we're just taking care of it during our lifetimes. Maybe you could offer to display it at a few shows, with credit to him or his shop.

And hope that the son views the shop as a business more than a museum, and that inventory is just a commodity.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Addicted,

I feel sorry for you because I'm afraid you'll be able to take a look at it and that will be it. Not that I wish you misfortune but the man knows his stuff, doesn't look like he is in need of (lots!!) of extra cash and most likely has the knowledge that his heritage will be well looked after.

It will be one of those things that you want to have but can't.

Pictures would be a small bandage on the wound as we say in Holland.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I would wager that the owner is confusing the colors on the label with the box colors. I have never heard of such a box, and have been knocking around Colts for over 40 years, but I must admit I have never seen such an early Python.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Addicted,
Over on the S&W Forum, one of the posts in the "1857 to WW II" section mentioned a collector owning Python serial number 36, so it looks like there are other early Pythons out there too... Bob Best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts