Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I saw a long barreled Colt Buntline Scout for sale today at a gun store I didn't even know existed, went by it and saw their sign and did a quick u-turn to have a looksie. Had a few S&W's, and a few Colt older autos, but my eye caught the Buntline. I know zero about these but it looked impressive with that barrel that had to be almost 12 inches. It came with two sets of grips, Pachmayr's and the originals that looked something like silver and black mother of pearl. Also included was a leather holster in nice shape. Gun was about 97% I'd say. Now here's the problem. It had a scope mounted on it, I think it was a 4x Bushnell. Does the fact that someone mounted a scope absolutely kill the value of this gun ? I don't know what these are worth, their price was $349. Any thoughts ? I think I'm gonna go back anyway because they had a 1959 vintage S&W Model 10 6" blued in about 98% for $285. Same vintage as me ! Anyway, please let me know about this Buntline or if anyone might be interested in it. Thanks, Shoodaddy

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's probably about right for a Buntline Frontier Scout. If it was in mint condition it would be worth more, but $350 is okay for a shooter. Neither set of grips is original unless it happens to be a commemorative in addition to being a Buntline. Some commemoratives had the black pearl Jay Scott grips, but the regular Buntlines had either black plastic or walnut grips.

Does it say .22 magnum on the barrel, or only on the cylinder? Is the muzzle flat or crowned?

There were relatively few Frontier Scouts sold as .22 magnums only, and even fewer Buntlines. Most were sold as dual cylinder models. Because most were dual cylinder models some people assume they were all capable of shooting .22 magnum ammo and it's not uncommon for people to package a .22LR only pistol with both long rifle and magnum cylinders. Shooting magnum ammo in these guns could result in dangerous over pressures and a kaboom. Guns capable of shooting .22 mags will be marked on the barrel with either .22 magnum or .22 caliber. The muzzle on all guns safe for magnum loads will be crowned, or rounded. If the barrel is marked .22 long rifle or if it has a flat muzzle then it is not safe for .22 magnums, regardless of what cylinder(s) is(are) included.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John, Thank you so much for the information. My knowledge of this model just went up a bunch, thanks to you. I'm pretty sure the barrel was marked .22 magnum. If I go back there I'll get more info and maybe the serial number. Take care, Randy aka Shoodaddy

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't think the scout buntline barrels were that long. I want to say somewhere around 9 inches. Look'em up on gunsamerica. The scope mount depending on how it was mounted could affect the value of the gun. Sounds like an interesting combination that would provide a lot of fun plinking at soup cans. Price sounds average, not killing you on it, but probably puting a little in their pocket. A little profit never killed anybody lol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bowhunter, Thank you for the information. I called the store that has this and had them take a look at it. It is the 9.5" barreled version. The barrel is stamped .22 Mag also. Serial number is 183687F if that helps in identifying this piece. Thanks again, Shoo

·
Registered
144 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bowhunter, Thank you for the information. I called the store that has this and had them take a look at it. It is the 9.5" barreled version. The barrel is stamped .22 Mag also. Serial number is 183687F if that helps in identifying this piece. Thanks again, Shoo

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a book on these guns. That revolver was mfg. in 1965. There were a total of 9,597 original series (Q or F serial number) .22 magnum Buntlines made. Additionally, there were about 1,500 made in the P series (heavy frame) and another 1,500 in the K series (nickel finish).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts