Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a price most here would consider reasonable for a 2.5" 22LR Diamondback?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
For seller or buyer I think two grand , plus or minus three hundred - depending on minimal condition of good or very good and boxed...... Do I have one , NO .

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just my observation, but .22 caliber 2 1/2" won't bring the money of a "Bullet" .38 Diamondback. In general the .22's in most non-target Colt revolvers require a more specific buyer. Also, people buying the .22's actually want a longer barrel. Because the Snake guns have a magic name, however, the prices can be unexpected. If you like it, want it and can afford it, then the price is right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello to all.. First post..long time reader and colt collector. Lg show this weekend in ohio had a new in box 2.5 diamondback 22lr for $5000.00.. Back about 6 years ago at an auction one went for $4200.00 ..unheard of back then.. Thanks to all for great info all the years

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok all, I've been looking at Diamondback's in 22 LR to add to my collection. Here's the problem I'm having is to find one in nice condition for under $2000. They'er out there. I just have to keep hunting. But here's the real question, with Colt coming out with runs of Snake Guns, what do you all think the chances of Colt making a new Anaconda, and Diamondback's??? See you all at the NRA convention in Nashville...

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Ok all, I've been looking at Diamondback's in 22 LR to add to my collection. Here's the problem I'm having is to find one in nice condition for under $2000. They'er out there. I just have to keep hunting. But here's the real question, with Colt coming out with runs of Snake Guns, what do you all think the chances of Colt making a new Anaconda, and Diamondback's??? See you all at the NRA convention in Nashville...
I got a near perfect 6" 22 Dback from a forum member in Dec.
Vic

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Years ago I bought a NIB Colt Diamondback 22lr with a four inch barrel for the princely sum of $425, not a small amount of money in those days. I loved that gun for years and years but ended up in financial distress and sold it. I told the wife when I got back on my feet I was buying another and a few years after I sold my first one I bought another for $575 NIB at a gunshow. Great guns and it's one everyone should own. Ya'll can look for mine after I am gone, it's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
While the blued Diamondback with 2 1/2" inch .22LR barrel is quite scarce there are several Diamondbacks that are rarer. Supposedly there are a few 2 1/2" .22LR Diamondbacks in nickel finish. It is my understanding that the 4" nickel 22LR and the 6" nickel .38 Special Diamondbacks are rarer than the 2 1/2" blued .22:R Diamondback. If anyone can correct or elaborate on my understanding of Diamondback production numbers I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies and the link to the production numbers. I have a couple of blue 4" models and a 6" e-nickel in .22LR but no 2.5" yet.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and the link to the production numbers. I have a couple of blue 4" models and a 6" e-nickel in .22LR but no 2.5" yet.
Don't hold your breath. Blue 2.5's 22LR's are extremely hard to come by and I honestly don't think any Colt Diamondback 2.5" 22LR's in factory Nickel have ever existed. Any E-nickel Diamondbacks are really painfully scarce and rare regardless of the barrel length and I try never to use the term "rare" lightly. The Nickel 4" Diamondbacks in 22LR caliber are a hard enough find, trust me, I know: Here's one with my 38Spl. 4".

IMG_2475.jpg IMG_2476.jpg IMG_2477.jpg IMG_2480.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
The .22 Diamondbacks are some of the best gems Colt ever made, in my opinion. Great to shoot and a joy to own and look at. Have a 6” blue and two 4”; one blue one nickel. Shoot them all, absolutely wonderful guns. I have 4 or maybe 5? of the 2.5” .22s——always thought it was just one of the coolest Colts of the modern era. Didn’t pay more than $600 for any of them (and some I bought new) so I have had all of them awhile. And they are not going anywhere, except to my kids. They all learned to shoot a revolver with a 2.5” .22 with CB caps. If we are lucky, Colt will make another .22 DA revolver. But they surely won’t make these again, grab them when you see them. They just do not come around that often.

·
Premium Member
19,152 Posts
If you look closely at the #8 posting of a picture of a 2-1/2" DB in 22, you can see it appears to have the unusual/scarce acceptance stamp that is not the usual VP marking. It looks like a 0
The reason/meaning of this unusual marking has never been explained.

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
If you look closely at the #8 posting of a picture of a 2-1/2" DB in 22, you can see it appears to have the unusual/scarce acceptance stamp that is not the usual VP marking. It looks like a 0
The reason/meaning of this unusual marking has never been explained.
Mine has that acceptance stamp. I am not sure that it is unusual for a 2.5-inch .22 Diamondback. I don't think I have ever seen a .25-inch .22 Diamondback that did NOT have that acceptance mark. Of course, the guns are so scarce that my observed samples are few.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
2 1/2 22 DBs are highly sought after. I haven’t watched them in a few years but most I’ve saw LNIB/nib went in the 3500-4500 range. My buddy (who collects old stuff), walked away from one nib for 1000 a few years back after coming back from restroom. He told me, i thought he was messing with me. Once I figured out he wasn’t, I said run and buy it! He said what’s it worth, I said just run and buy it! He went back, a pinhooker already bought it. That guy brought it back the next day and sold it for 4K.

I really do believe the 2.5 nickel does exist. I saw one 99% lettered (no box) about 6-8 years ago. Back then it brought a staggering price. I believe I knew where another one (nib) was but didn’t go see it simply cause I knew I’d destroy the bank account plus I’ve never been into nickel much. I believe it to be the lowest production number of ANY snake made.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts