Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NIB Kodiak. I have seen prices ranging from $1500-2400 for these. What is realistic? 6" Bbl.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
What is realistic ?
What is realistic on any Colt revolver NIB these days ?
Are we talking street value, trade in value, auction value ?
On the street or at a local gunshow, the gun may sit on your table for a long time if it's priced at anything over $1000. Trade in value, you would be lucky if a local gunshop would give you $700-$800 for it.
At auction, I would say it would bring anywhere from $1500-$2000 depending on who really was looking for one at the time.
Just my opinion.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
689 Posts
1st off, welcome to the Forum...

Regarding the value of your Bear, GUNKWAZY nailed it...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I'm sorry,
Where's my manors ? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Welcome aboard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know much about the Kodiac. Is it a variation of the Anaconda?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Yes, the Kodiak is a limited production run 44 magnum that was Magnaported & had a Non-fluted cylinder. As pictured above.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Thanks. Thats what it looked like. Any idea of how many were made? Must not have been many. I've never seen one except in the pix

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Yikes !!!
You're going to need to be "WAY" more specific. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Pictures if you have them would be of great help.
Again, when you say going for, are we talking at the local Gunshop, Gunshow, internet auction ?
Are you selling or buying ?
Condition: (almost NIB) fired, holster wear, unfired, correct box, papers, grips/stocks, year MFG.
Finish: (Blue,Nickel,Stainless,Bright Stainless)
The more info you can provide, the better window on price.
They range from Beater $500-$1500 to early model mint in correct box & grips/stocks). Hope that helps.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, OK. I SEE THERE IS NO SUCH THHING AS "JUST A PYTHON" - I ACTUALLY DONT HAVE ONE - I WOULD LIKE TO GET ONE, PREFERABLE NEAR NEW, STAINLESS. I WORK IN LE AND DO SOME DEMO SHOOTING PRIMARILY W/ AUTOS, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO TRY A PYTHON WHEN I NEED A REVOLVER. I CURRENTLY USE CUSTOMIZED SW686'S FOR REVOLVER WORK, BUT... I HAVE COLTS IN .44MAG AND FOR CARBINE (.223) AND A PYTHON SEEMS LIKE A NATRUAL PROGRESSION.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Ok, a near new stainless 4 inch python would be a very nice find at $800. Expect to pay about $1000-$1100. Bright polished finished 4 inchers will be bringing a little more. Currently at auction the near new bright ss Pythons are bringing $1200-$1400.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The above info is about as close as you'll come given todays goofy market. The wheeler dealers looking to make a quick buck, and the guys who keep a gun a few weeks/months and trade it off, won't pay the big bucks and that's probably 95% of the people you'll encounter at the gun shows and on line. The buyer you want, for the top dollar, is the serious collector who is tired of looking for the perfect specimen to fill a gap in his collection and when he buys it, will keep it until he croaks. Depending on the rarity of the gun, that means you may have to wait a while for that person to find you, unless you do some advertising. The lowest I have seen a Kodiak sell is a fired ANIB for $600.00, and the highest was a NIB for $1800.00. In the case of the Kodiak, from the research I did when I found mine, the general consensus is around 2000 total, with a few of those being 4 inch barrels. They are not plentiful, and rarely seen at gun shows, but there always seems to be one or two of them for sale on the internet. Sometimes at a reasonable price and sometimes on a fishing expedition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks, it was only after I registered that I saw the Posts I wanted to respond to were so old-still, they may help some. I'm a huge Colt fan. I know a lot about the Kodiak, I had two of them, the 1st blew up in my face the 1st time I fired it, may have been a high primer hitting that obnoxious ridge near the back-plate of so many Colt revolvers-regardless, the accident was not due to the explosion in the #1 chamber, rather the #6. The wonderful people at the now gone S.F. Gun Exchange replaced the gun after Colt refused to own up to the manufacturing flaw. It was my understanding that the Kodiak was a private run of 1600 guns commissioned by one of the top distributors and half went to Alaska and half were sold in the lower 48-true, I don't know? I do know the guns were all Magna Ported and had Pachmeyer Decellerator Gripper grips & non fluted cylinders. Both mine had 6" barrels and I only recently saw a 4" model for sale on the web. The 2nd one I owned was a fine gun and I wish I had not sold it nor my bright stainless Python and Gold Cup I once owned. I have had an 8" Anaconda, and the Kodiak is basically a variation of that gun. I would pay $1200-1500 for another one, new or used and agree with everything gunkwazy said. Colt is a great platform for the .44 Magnum

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Colts have gone up a lot in the last 5 years. Here in Cali I now see Anacondas going for that. IF you could fine one I bet a Kodiak would cost you twice that.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Hi folks, it was only after I registered that I saw the Posts I wanted to respond to were so old-still, they may help some. I'm a huge Colt fan. I know a lot about the Kodiak, I had two of them, the 1st blew up in my face the 1st time I fired it, may have been a high primer hitting that obnoxious ridge near the back-plate of so many Colt revolvers-regardless, the accident was not due to the explosion in the #1 chamber, rather the #6. The wonderful people at the now gone S.F. Gun Exchange replaced the gun after Colt refused to own up to the manufacturing flaw. It was my understanding that the Kodiak was a private run of 1600 guns commissioned by one of the top distributors and half went to Alaska and half were sold in the lower 48-true, I don't know? I do know the guns were all Magna Ported and had Pachmeyer Decellerator Gripper grips & non fluted cylinders. Both mine had 6" barrels and I only recently saw a 4" model for sale on the web. The 2nd one I owned was a fine gun and I wish I had not sold it nor my bright stainless Python and Gold Cup I once owned. I have had an 8" Anaconda, and the Kodiak is basically a variation of that gun. I would pay $1200-1500 for another one, new or used and agree with everything gunkwazy said. Colt is a great platform for the .44 Magnum
Sort of glad you resurrected this 5 year+ thread; I hadn't seen it before.

Hope you weren't injured with that mishap. Trying to understand, you fired the round in cylinder #1 but in the rotation of the cylinder, the cartridge in the cylinder immediately to its right, #6, went off? Did the projectile hit the front portion of the frame and/or did the frame lose integrity and blow off as well? I have had hand-loaded rounds with high primers impact part of the frame and cause a binding but wonder how it could have set off the primer without a direct center strike. Interesting stuff, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I saw this 2006 post and thought, why in the world has this been resurected ?
Interestingly Pythons have jumped huge in price in that five year span.
Compare that to Real Estate.
I'm in the process of closing on another single family home here in AZ this week.
The purchase price is/was $95,000.
That same home sold for $230,000 in 2006.
About the exact opposite that the Pythons are doing.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts