Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what would be considered a fair price for a 99 per cent new Gold Cup in bright stainless with no box?I have tried bidding on Gunbroker but keep getting out bid from a forum member (dealer) at around $2000 plus. Are these really worth that much with box? I am going to settle for one without a box still at $2000.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Worth is a personal thing. The bright stainless guns really have no value added as far as function is concerned. Although I have always admired their appearance I stay away from them because I don't need the heartache when they finally get scratched, dinged, etc. Sort of like a nickeled gun, once you start using them they never look the same. Dealers buy them only because they figure they can make a buck down the road, not as a tool to be used. If your wallets thick and you feel the need, go for it.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Last winter the Gold Cup in Bright Stainless were bringing $2500-$2700 WITHOUT the box and $3500-$4000 with the box. Are they worth that? Probably not but will they sell for that? Yep.

Summer will certainly be the time to buy if you can avoid the opportunistic dealers who know what they can sell them for. No easy task.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
"Worth" probably is not the right term in regard to most collectables. "Market value" is probably a better term.

"Real" Gold Cups (those with wide triggers) are appreciating rapidly, and the bright stainless are near the top of the Gold Cup hierarchy, if not at the top. Buy now or pay more later. When I think what I paid for mine not all that long ago, I am glad I bought when I did.

You will have to outbid the dealers, but, by paying current market price, you will do so because a dealer cannot pay current market price and resell it for a profit - at least not for a while until the market rises further, and time is money.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Last winter the Gold Cup in Bright Stainless were bringing $2500-$2700 WITHOUT the box and $3500-$4000 with the box. Are they worth that? Probably not but will they sell for that? Yep.
I had no idea they were bringing that much. I bought this one around 1995. And I no longer have the box. Back then, not many buyers thought much about keeping the box. They are beautiful guns though and reflect Colt quality at it's best.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just bought the bright stainless Gold Cup and waiting for some faux ivory grips. Last(?) gun on my list is a 10mm Gold Cup. Pythons have got too expensive for me to buy any more.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Last(?) gun on my list is a 10mm Gold Cup. Pythons have got too expensive for me to buy any more.
Maybe you waited too long? Delta Gold Cups are selling in the same range as many Pythons, and for more than most common "shooter" Pythons.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JudgeColt. I just recently bought a like new bright stainless Gold Cup from Fugate Firearms for $2000 last week. It was not the Delta Elite but was like new so if a dealer was selling them at that price I think I still have time to buy another one. I have a custom case for 2 and would like to get a matching set. Again, I am interested in another bright stainless, (mirror polish) Colt Gold Cup

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
JudgeColt. I just recently bought a like new bright stainless Gold Cup from Fugate Firearms for $2000 last week. It was not the Delta Elite but was like new so if a dealer was selling them at that price I think I still have time to buy another one. I have a custom case for 2 and would like to get a matching set. Again, I am interested in another bright stainless, (mirror polish) Colt Gold Cup
Dual Brights, Sweet!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dual Brights look especially bright when wearing new white ivory grips. it is a beautiful gun that way, now I just need to find another and put ivories on it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a Series 70 Bright Nickel Gold Cup/National Match bought in the early 1970's before Stianless 1911's were even offered
With ivory grips by Nutmeg, beautiful pistol
I have an additional 8 Series 70 1911 Gov'ts with ivory( 4 NIB), and one series 70 Commander with ivory. One Mustang 380 with ivory and nickel (NIB) .
I have a penchant for nickel 1911's with elephant ivory grips and a love for the Series 70 that i don't share with the Series 80's

·
Registered
817 Posts
Would anyone know what the factory grips were on BSS Gold Cups ? Wood or rubber.
Check out Post #5. Black wood with silver Colt medallions.

Edited to add: This ad is from Colt's 1991 catalog. It shows the gun came with black rubber wrap-around grips. My gun was made in 1995. I have a pair of these grips in my box of grips. They probably came off of my gun and I changed them soon after I bought it. I am not a fan of rubbler grips.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Would anyone know what the factory grips were on BSS Gold Cups ? Wood or rubber.
I would have to research my catalogs, but every bright stainless Gold Cup I have seen has rubber wrap-around stocks. Post Number 5 looks like a "Bubba Polish" to me. The finish has a cloudy appearance that a factory bright stainless does not have. A true bright stainless Gold Cup has a mirror finish, with no hint of cloudiness.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the BSS ones I have seen either have the wrap around checkered rubber grips or the earlier wrap around sippled grips, rubber also. The very early blue models had walnut and came in the two piece cardboard box

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would have to research my catalogs, but every bright stainless Gold Cup I have seen has rubber wrap-around stocks. Post Number 5 looks like a "Bubba Polish" to me. The finish has a cloudy appearance that a factory bright stainless does not have. A true bright stainless Gold Cup has a mirror finish, with no hint of cloudiness.

I bought this gun brand new and can assure you that it is an Ultimate Bright Stainless gun contrary to to your opinion. The gun has never been "bubba-cized" by me or anyone else. It has less than a box of hardball through it. The "cloudiness" you refer to is caused by a thin film of oil on the gun. It is very hard to photograph because of the bright reflective finish. I do have a pair of black rubber wrap-around grips with a silver Colt medallion on them in my grip box that may have come on the gun. I have 3 Ultimate Bright Stainless Colts (they were very popular in the mid-90's) and 2 of them came with the black wood grips with silver medallion as shown in the photos. I'll try and take some better photos just for you.

And you might want to work on that "delivery" a bit.:rolleyes:

Edited to add: I found this photo in my 1991 Colt catalog. My gun was made in 1995 but likely had the same grips on it when new.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Post Number 5 looks like a "Bubba Polish" to me. The finish has a cloudy appearance that a factory bright stainless does not have. A true bright stainless Gold Cup has a mirror finish, with no hint of cloudiness.
Since today turned out to be overcast and not so bright I attempted once again to take some decent photos of the Gold Cup. You can judge for yourself whether it a a "true bright stainless" and if it has a "mirror finish with no hint of cloudiness". I'm working with an old and obsolete 6 Mega Pixel camera so these are about as good as I can do.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
texagun, as we now learn, the pictured black wood stocks on your Gold Cup are not the originals. That, coupled with the cloudy appearance of the finish, which we now learn was due to an oil film on the surface, caused me to conclude that the gun was a "Bubba Polish." You do not need to convince me otherwise.

The only thing important out of this discussion is that the two-piece stocks are not original equipment on a bright stainless Gold Cup. The pebble-grain or checkered rubber wrap-around stocks are original equipment on a bright stainless Gold Cup. That was the question asked and answered, but then another post referred to your picture with the apparent implication that the two-piece black wood stocks were correct. Since they are not, I made my post trying to explain their presence on the "cloudy" Gold Cup as part of a "Bubba" modification. We now know that the gun pictured is NOT a "Bubba" modification and that the stocks pictured are not original to the gun. As it turns out, much ado about nothing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts