Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate opinions on the value of a Colt New Service revolver that I saw today. The gun has what appears to my less than expert eye about 50% of the original bluing left. All honest wear with no rust,pits,nicks or dings. A little cylinder play,but nothing serious. It has a last patent date of 1926,IIRC. The barrel is 7 1/2",calibre is .45 Colt. The frame and stocks are marked RAC,which I believe are the initials of military inspector Renaldo A. Carr,but there are NO U.S. property marks of any kind. The gun is on consignment at a favorite shop. What do y'all think a fair price would be? Thanks!
f.t.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The revolver sounds like a commerercial new service with Army Military grips. RAC was a Army inspector. I would go back and double check for military markings and get the serial number. Blue book states that the value for a commercial New Service is $650 at 50% finish. I would deduct $100 for not having the right grips. If the revolver is a military 1909 or 1917 that has been rebarreled with a 7.5 in barrel I would think that the value was $250 to $300 for a shooter it the revolver has a nice bore. The grips can not be correct since the barrel has a patent date of 1926 with is after the Army's purchase of this type of revolver. Bob

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
it sound to me like a re-barreled 1909,if so the butt should be marked as such. in MY opinion value would be around 400 +- 100$. it is most definatly a rework as no military new service would have a 1926 dated bbl.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas. I agree that the gun has been rebarreled. The serial # is 58218,so that puts it at 1913. The butt on the grip frame has been polished,very neatly I might add,to obliterate any markings. The bore is somewhat dark,but no pitting. Asking price is $349. I think I'll offer him $250. I think it would be worth it as a shooter. BTW,they have test fired the gun and everything functions fine. I would do the same before buying. He has a range out back. I appreciate the comments.
f.t.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Even if they don't come down to $250 I think you should buy it even if they just come down to just $300 or $325. The revolver sounds like a nice shooter in a great caliber. You might even be able to find a 5.5 in barrel with US property markings in the future. Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts