Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what a typical selling price for a 2nd gen "Stagecoach" box in excellent shape would be?
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Jack: It depends greatly on which gun the box was originally for. Just assume that the most popular finishes, calibers, and barrel lengths will correspondingly bring the greatest prices for the boxes. I am not an SAA guy myself, but do pay attention to boxes and accoutrements and would say the average box, with the insert, in nice shape would bring between $75-125 in my neck of the woods. HTH. Charlie

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
That huge auction site (I will put the name here to see if it is poofed when I submit this reply like it often is on other boards - eBay) is the market place for boxes. I am constantly amazed how much they bring. It has caused me to realize that to get maximum value out of my boxed guns, I will have to separate them from their boxes and sell everything separately, including box, tools, target, literature, oil paper, etc.. That really bothers me because it does not seem right to separate something that has been together for 50 to 100 years, but it is a fact.

I saw a box for a M1908 .380 Hammerless bring about $800, and it takes a very nice M1908 pistol to bring that much. I can undestand the Pre-War National Match box that brought in that range since those pistols are really rare (2000-3000 by most estimates), but there are hundreds of thousands of M1908s. Strange.

However, the survival rate of the boxes is a small fraction of the rate for the guns themselves, so on that basis, one can understand that the boxes will be very valuable to some collectors. (I confess, I really love boxes and have paid over $200 for some.)

I am not sure a box for the most common SAA would bring more than the less common models because there should be more of the boxes for the more common models surviving. On the other hand, the demand would be higher for the more common models. But then the number of boxes for the less common models would be fewer and the competition for a rarer box would be greater.

AHHHHH! I DO NOT KNOW!

I do know that I have seen Stagecoach boxes bring more than the estimate, depending on condition, but I have seen them bring less too. Considering that that style of box has to be about 30 years old, the higher end and more seems more likely.

[This message has been edited by JudgeColt (edited 11-08-2003).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jack S., like the Judge sez, "continually amazed". However, the 2nd gen. Colt in the CORRECT S/Coach box recovers the cost of box +some. That means a S/C box in 95% 'er better (feathered corners and a few fingernails marks; no more)and with the 3 inserts should bring $150.00 American. Lets say you have a '68 Colt SAA .45x43/4" in 95%(no box tho'). Alone, worth $1,800.-$2,100.(depends on region a little) But in the correct box?-$2,400.-2,600. Seen that a lot of times.........

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
GR, do you really think the SAA 4.75-inch .45 I bought new in the PX at Fort Lee, Virginia in early 1970 is worth more than the $132.55 I paid for it? (It remains unfired in its perfect Stagecoach box.) I cannot believe the box alone is worth more than I paid for the gun! I figured it was too old to be worth anything now.

(Of course, I have a good idea what it is really worth, and I cannot say it displeases me. It is a good example for my wife about how she will be a wealthy widow. I just worry about her wanting to speed up that status!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
yea Judge C., I can feel your pain. If it'll make your life any better, I'll give you $140.00 american for the box/inserts alone. The 'big board' should be doing as well, huh?...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts