Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Value of SS .357 Trooper, 4\"

A buddy has the oportunity to buy a SS 4" Trooper, serial #586XXL, w/rubber stocks, in good condition. What is a fair price?

Thanks,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 11-13-2003).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Re: Value of SS .357 Trooper, 4\"

The problem is, Colt never made a stainless steel Trooper.
Not an original Trooper (1954-1969), nor the later Trooper Mark III or Mark V versions.

Colt didn't introduce stainless in a Trooper-type gun until the Colt King Cobra.

Colt did offer the Mark III and V guns with several satin plated finishes that resemble stainless.
These were the "Electroless Nickel and "ColtGuard" finishes.

In order to offer a price, we'd need to know WHICH Trooper version. From the serial number you furnished, I'm going to assume it's a Trooper Mark III.

If the gun is an old model ('54-'69) it's been plated with a non-factory finish, and value takes a nose dive.

If it's a Mark III od V model, price probably would go up, since Colt didn't offer the satin plated finishes for that a long period.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 11-13-2003).]

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

dfariswheel,

I only saw the gun briefly and I thought it was stainless but it could easily have been a coating. The only Troopers I'd seen before were blue. I'll double check, get more info., & get back to you.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you get moved OK?

John

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts

Yep, got moved (more or less).

For a ball park idea of pricing on a satin plated Trooper, take a look at the auction sites, and GunsAmerica.

The auction sites are usually high, GunsAmerica seems more realistic.

Plated Troopers bring better prices, and the price is constantly going up on all the older Colts.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

dfariswheel,

I showed my buddy the web site & he now has an idea. It was a Mark III.

Glad you got settled in & thanks for the info,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 11-14-2003).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts