Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Factory Colt Hunting knife called the Plainsman, made in Sheffield, England. It comes in a maroon with yellow draw stings velvet bag. Black top quality leather sheath and also comes in the original perfect condition factory Colt box with a perfect end label. It also has etchings on both sides of the blares. It's in excellent condition and was only made for a short time."

How many were produced and what year(s)?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
According to Ogle (Colt Memorabilia Price Guide), he gives a range of $250-$400 for the Sheffield Colt knives. He has a photo from the 1972 catalog in the book. I believe he is "Ogle1" on Ebay FYI. He has a nice summary of the knives in the book with photos.

The book says that Colt entered the knife business in 1971 with the introduction of 13 different knives from three manufactures (Sheffield, Olson, and Barry Wood). He says that there were 2500 made of each model of the Sheffield knives. Only approximately 1000 Olson knives were accepted by Colt even though the original contract was for 20,000 knives. A fire destroyed part of the Olson factory and the order was never filled. The Olson knives are the most valuable. Supposively 15,300 Wood folding knives were accepted by Colt.

Colt discontinued selling knives in 1973.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
How about a similar knife, without the bag and in a blue with silver Colt box, called the CT-5 Colt Sporting Knife, Made in USA also labeled United Cutlery on the box, bought well after 1973?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I believe those may be considered "Fantasy" pieces, although Colt did contract with United to allow them to manufacture them. Ogle defines fantasy pieces as those that have no association with the original company are "fantasy" items even though they contain the Colt logo. The true pieces were sold by Colt.

However, Colt licensed in 1973 with United Cutlery to produce a line of knives. Ogle lists the CT4 (serialized to 500 and remaining production non-serialized) as ranging in price from $39-$74.

The CT5 may also be serialized to the first 500 with the same listed price range as the CT4. The CT5-L (500 produced) also included a belt buckle and are priced at $80. Have no idea how reliable his pricing is. My guess is low.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[ QUOTE ]
According to Ogle (Colt Memorabilia Price Guide), he gives a range of $250-$400 for the Sheffield Colt knives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you sir. That's the pricing I had in mind.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rim, Is there anything in your book on this knife?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Addicted, you gave me a brand new place to pour tons of money into. I hadn't even thought about the Colt knife area of collecting! Thank you for bringing the topic up!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Nice knife!!! Yep, Page 96. I will quote Ogle... "In 1977, Aurum Etching of Texas produced the Samuel Colt Collectors Bowie under license from Colt Firearms. They were available serialized to the collectors, Colt or not, and some are reported without the medallion. Price $350"

I think I need to look at this book more. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts