Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to sell a 1st Gen with serial number starting with 332xxx and as far as I know the grips are original. There's a small chip on the steer side near the frame. Trying to figure out the value on it. I'm located in Dallas, TX

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Not a bad looking SAA and if the pearl stocks are original that makes it worth more. There are others like Hondo44 and Swamprat that can give you a good ball park value.

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
One picture shows a hint of remaining nickel. In the condition I see, I would think the gun and grips are worth in the $2000+ range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to a gun show about 15 years ago and talked to a guy that sold nothing but classic Colts and he felt, as much as he could tell from looking, that they seem original. I was going to get the letter but lost my job and need a stop gap to pay bills until the new job so sadly, it's gotta go

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
Nickel or blue, the grips are worth about as much as the gun... about $1000 each. The short barreled 32-20 are more popular than the longer barreled ones to many, so it might sell quickly, but the question is "Will the potential buyer of the gun want the grips and vice versa."

·
Registered
414 Posts
Assuming working order and a good bore I think 1200-1600 for the gun without the grips. With the grips I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
In today's world a brown SAA like that in 32 with a full front site would run $2000 for the correct grips which would be hard rubber.
Sure you could buy one from an old lady with no knowledge or someone very hungry for $1600 with Pearl grips.
They are chipped but can be fixed.
$2000 would be bottom on that and you may get as much as $2600. It's a sellers market on SAAs and if you have 7-14 days to wait for your ship to come in, I'd list on gunbroker and see just how much money you can pocket.
Get the best photos you can of the piece and I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
There is also a piece of paper referred to as an "Archive Letter". If you are SERIOUS about turning that piece into cash you need to order one. Yes, it's $150 for an expedited letter that you will have in about 10 days but it will show the actual chambering, length of barrel and possibly if it left with Pearl grips and to where it was shipped.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's a gun I would pass on myself, but on Gunbroker you just never know what will happen. I think 2000 is in the ballpark plus or minus a little. The rub on Gunbroker is you need a dealer to ship the gun for you. If you choose to spend the money for a letter I would wager it will not show the grips as original when shipped. If by chance it does show them as original it will improve the value a good bit. I list for a local shop and everything goes on for 1 penny and no reserve. We seem to get much better then average prices 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
One picture shows a hint of remaining nickel. In the condition I see, I would think the gun and grips are worth in the $2000+ range.
I think what you see that is nickel looking Terry is actually the silvering out of the case colors on the frame underneath the recoil shield on the left hand side of the frame.

And as far as the grips being factory they aren't. After 1911 you see deep set medallions in factory colt pearl and ivory grips. Those grips are more from the 1890's to the early 1900's period.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
COLTSIXGUN was there an artist(s) who were know for their carving Pearl grips during that era?

I imagine they were affiliated with the larger wholesalers?
Here are some pictures that I have archived of very similar style of carvings on the heads. No idea who did them but I believe from looking at several guns with these type of grips on them that you can figure from the 1890's until the early 1900's is the right vintage of manf. The OP's 32-20 was somewhat late for these grips and they fit it okay but not extra well fitting.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
They sure are. Don't know who or where they were carved but they sure do look similar. I've never seen a colt factory saa with grips like this style so I'm saying they were dealer done but who knows by whom and where?

Reactions: saintclair
1 - 20 of 20 Posts