Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all
i know you can’t put a value sight unseen, but have a question. I saw an auction gun that’s very likeable to me. It’s a Texas Sesquicentennial Commemorative Sherrif model 4” with ivory grips. However it has Colt letter verifying it as a prototype for that series. No original box, has been fired, serial number 001 ProtoTx. I’m figuring it’s just a shooter since it’s been fired and no box. But documenting paperwork adds value too? Sorry no picture.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/840825323

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
The Texas Sesquicentennial is not hard to find. Taking a quick look I found two at Collectors Firearms and a couple more on Guns International. In un-turned condition With case and all the rest of it's original goodies they can be had for 22-25 hundred bucks. Do not know what, "If it is a true prototype" would add to value.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added the gunbroker auction so the pictures and documentation can be viewed.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
It is hard to price a prototype Colt like this one, but I would guess it may be worth in the $3500 range. Some Texan may really want it and if two Texans start bidding against each other for the gun, who knows how much it will sell for. Beautiful ivories on it!!
Agreed - normally a commemorative isn't worth much in the way of being special but, this one being from Texas, with unique serial/papers/dates of movement etc will make a couple Texan's duke it out if it gets their attention.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can y’all tell me how Gunbroker works? I see it is no minimum bid or no reserve. I see current bid and days left. What I’m wondering is if you place a bid can you then see the other bids? It sends you a message saying your bid is or is not the highest bid but does it send you a message if someone bids higher than yours? Or do you just wait and see if your bid wins with no knowledge of other bids.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Can y’all tell me how Gunbroker works? I see it is no minimum bid or no reserve. I see current bid and days left. What I’m wondering is if you place a bid can you then see the other bids? It sends you a message saying your bid is or is not the highest bid but does it send you a message if someone bids higher than yours? Or do you just wait and see if your bid wins with no knowledge of other bids.
It's like eBay. You will know instantly if you're the highest bidder at that moment and the bid amount will go to just above the next highest bidder. If someone outbids you, you will be notified so you can bid again if so desired. What GB does that eBay doesn't is have a 10-15 minute rule. The end of the auction can be extended if someone tries to snipe the auction, which means waiting until the last few seconds to swoop in and bid before anyone can react. If a bid is received in the last few minutes the auction is extended by 10-15 minutes to give other buyers a chance to react and raise their bid.

You can read more here: https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/categories/202943427-Buying

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Winning bid was $1710, I would say not bad for a 4” powder frame sheriff’s model with nice ivory. Unfortunately I couldn’t bid on it. Congrats if it was a member.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Hmmm, well now that the auctions completed I finally looked at it. In my opinion a very good price for that gun. Ivories alone are worth $550.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts