Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a newbie here and have a couple of questions. After cruising the auction sites for pythons I have noticed that all pythons with black grips are usually about 200.00 cheaper than the same python with other style grips. Why is this? To me, for 200.00 you could put any grip on them that you wanted to and have 150.00 to spare. Remember I am a newbie so there must be a logical explanation for this that I am not aware of. Next question is what year would a Python with an A suffix be made in?
Thanks for any help,
Wes Hardin

------------------
Learn To Listen

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
While you cruise the auction sites look at the prices of the genuine wood Python stocks and also note how many you see. That $200 may not seem that excessive then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, found none on the gun site but found many on ebay and were much more expensive than the rubber ones. they still were all under 80.00 but bidding wasn't over yet. anyone know the BOD for a python with an a suffix in the serial 3#.
thanks for your reply magic,
Wes Hardin

·
Registered
794 Posts
Majic makes a very good point about the value of the wood stocks.

As ridiculous as it seems to me, some people are willing to pay up to $100 and more for factory Python target stocks in LN condition. And many sellers know what the stocks alone can sell for with the right buyer. So that alone could account for the anomaly you describe. I wouldn't put it past some sellers to sell the wood stocks separately and then fit a cheaper set of rubber to sell the gun.

However, I search the auction sites routinely and have not noticed what you describe as a general rule.

Certain Pythons came from the factory with the Goodyear rubber (Pachmayr's) and will have the Colt Medallion. As you may know if you have been lurking around here a while, a gun in original condition will usually command a higher value/selling price that a modified gun. Original guns are often more prized than modified guns, right, wrong or indifferent.

The guns on the auction sites that have the incorrect stocks should be devalued when considering a purchase. Even if it has the more expensive wood target sights, it is best to retrofit the original rubber stocks or at least have a correct set on hand.

A recent post showed a SS Python sporting the incorrect wooden target stocks. No doubt the owner likes the rich look of the wood stocks, but I'd be willing to bet he has the correct Goodyears safely tucked away. One set for display and one for originality.

Oh, and one more thing: Welcome to the forum Wes!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks WS23,
I am very glad I found this forum. Pythons are without a doubt my favorite gun. I love diamondbacks too. I own 1 6" nickel 98% 357 Python with third generation wooden grips but no box. 1 diamondback nickel 6" that is as-knew in the box all papers and a King cobra 2 inch nickel NIB and a 3rd detective special NIB I say NIB but they all have slight cylinder lines and are said to be unfired. Python has been fired and it is the best shooting gun that I have shot. I am in love with my snake-Hell I want to marry it. Every time I see it I get all giddy and I have to pick it up and pet it.
back to earth. thanks for you welcoming me into this nmessage board. Hopefully I want bother you guys too much. I tend to ask alot of questions. Anyone no what year this python was born that I am looking to buy. Has the serial number and the an A suffix.
thanks guys,
wesley hardin

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
The publicly available Colt serial numbers stop in 1985.

The only Python serial that had a "A" before that was 1980's "AL" series.

Likely your Python was made after '85, so the only way to date it is to call the Colt factory.
They will give you a production date over the phone, but NO other data.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 07-06-2005).]

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Welcome to the forum WildWildWes.
Just so you are aware, we Snake lovers require pictures so that we too can drool upon other peoples Snakes.
By the way, I'd love to get some more info on the 2 inch Nickel King Cobra MIB and a picture or 2 would not hurt.

Thanks again and welcome aboard.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Try and find the earliest."fully checkered" target stocks for the first Pythons(also "357",Officers Models and pre 69 Troopers) for anything UNDER $100,in v.good plus shape,and you will doing well!!

Not in the "stratosphere" yet,like contemporary S&W diamond targets(especially the "Coke Bottles"),but these early Colt targets are rare.and in demand. I sold a nice to set to a guy here on the Forum,because I knew he wasn't a "speculator",and knew the O.M.T. gun was going on,for far less than $100,last year.

Couple of thoughts just crossed my mind while typing:
a) while I don't collect Pythons,I'd be leery,if I was "Newbie" seeing a Python,with the earliest fully checkered stocks,and advertised as "very early",without checking the serial # for actual year of mfg.(once saw a new S&W Collector,buy a M-24-3,the rerun made in 1983-84 of the .44 Special Target,that had diamond stocks on it. Dealer said it was a 1950's,first run gun,so guy bought it at 5 screw,early 1950's and the price was double what a "rerun 24-3 was worth! In his "lust",he never saw that it was only a 3 screw,and had a far different serial # range!!)
b) seems as if Colt D.A. collectors,spend less than the S&W boys do on grips,boxes "tools" etc,so we must be "more frugal"??? (guess all the rich Colt guys buy only 1911's and SAA's!!!!

Bud

·
Registered
267 Posts
The last set of "cokes" I bought were $275 in very nice shape. I paid $325 for a set of "Registered Magnum" grips that were about 200 serial numbers away from my Registered. They fit like a glove and are "perfect".

To a collector, the price is not the key, only the quality and the item.

Also, when I bought my first set of "cokes" about 18 months ago, they were only $185. The prices have run up a bunch lately. Even a set of take off magna's are running $85 today when they used to be $25 2 years ago.

------------------
10mm and 357 sig. The best things to come along since the 38 Super.

·
Registered
778 Posts
A lot depends on where you live. We picked up a pair of pristine magnas a few weeks ago in a pawn shop for $20.00. We were glad to get them, and they were glad to get rid of them. It sounds like things tighten up in the bigger cities. We are going to a couple of gun shows in the next two weeks looking for black rubber grips with the gold medallion for our Ultimate SS 2-1/2" Python that came with wood Hogues. Our range is down for re-arrangment of shooting positions because of new housing developemnts in the area being in the possible prior line of fire. Robba

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
"looking for black rubber grips with the gold medallion for our Ultimate SS 2-1/2" Python"

Are you looking for the target or combat style ? I've seen both on the 2.5 incher from Colt, but I think the combats are more common on the short barrel.
The targets are an easy find on the Bay and should cost only about $15.-$20. or so for a like NEW or NEW set. The combat rubber won't cost you more than that, they just seem to be a little more scarce. At least from what I've found. I think I snagged a combat set for $10 a couple months back. There's ALWAYS a set of target Colts on the bay for sale.

Good luck, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks Gunkwazy for the info: I had expected to pay a lot more than around $20.00 for the combat grips. I'm not much of a Bay guy, but I'll start to look there for them. The wood fingergrip Hogues I believe that are on the gun really don't fit on the back strap as well as they should. Thanks again, Robba

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hey Robba,
I didn't see any Combats at this time, but there's a set of brand new in the package Targets for $19.00.

Item number 7167496069

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think the combats would look better on the short barrel Python. We are going to a gun show next weekend and I'll look there. No hurry, but if I get antsy I'll look on Ebay.

Robba

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Wildwildwes: Welcome to the forum not that I am such a veteran. You'll love your Colts. It is an itch that you just want to keep on scratchin'.

You mentioned a 6" nickel Diamondback. I assume it is a 22. The 38's seem to be very rare, and if it is a 38sp, hold onto it.If you could, please let us know as there are others that are interested. What stocks are on the nickel DB?

I am probably going to be selling some late 70's vintage original Python stocks shortly. I sold the gun with pachmayr grips on it, which is the way I shot it. No body was offering much, so I kept them. The money was re-invested in the stuff I like (22's).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, It is a 4" nickel 38 not the 6". Not rare at all I don't think. It is as new in the box though with only slight cylinder line. I will post pics as soon as I can. Sorry about the mix up.
Wes Hardin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts