Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Sir...and yours turned out real nice !!

My Ruger Bisley Vaquero...OM circa 2005....chambered in .357 Magnum...wearing American Bison Horn stocks:

This .45 Colt 1995 Vaquero came home with me. A trip to Ruger for a bit of reblue (no charge, thank you) and here it is. Anyone else like original or new Vaqueros? I like the heft; makes SAA feel svelte.
View attachment 728069
Yes Sir...and yours turned out real nice !!

My Ruger Bisley Vaquero...OM circa 2005....chambered in .357 Magnum...wearing American Bison Horn stocks:

very nice. Especially like those bison stocks. I was thinking of restocking this one. It came with these Ajax stocks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My polished stainless New Model Vaquero Bisley in 357 with a 9mm cylinder. I found the cylinder first about two years ago. I needed to find a revolver to work with the cylinder. The 9mm cylinder just dropped in perfectly with no wiggle or slop whatsoever. It works great. I do need to get the cylinder polished to match the finish of the revolver.

Revolver with 9mm cylinder in place:

9mm cylinder as I got it:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I like the New Vaqueros I missed out on the old USFA's "Double Eagle" which I thought was about the coolest SAA ever-

So I got a Ruger New Vaquero .45 ACP like the above for a reasonable cost some what substitute- fun as hell gun- one of my favorites, Ruger like all gun companies has had some QC issue those days but I got real lucky with mine.

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
I like the New Vaqueros I missed out on the old USFA's "Double Eagle" which I thought was about the coolest SAA ever-
So I got a Ruger New Vaquero .45 ACP like the above for a reasonable cost some what substitute- fun as hell gun- one of my favorites, Ruger like all gun companies has had some QC issue those days but I got real lucky with mine.

That's a beauty Perry...love the birds head stocks...looks almost like Ebony !!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My 26 yr old Vaquero, bought used, came with a very, very, too light,trigger and pressure on the rear of a cocked hammer would send the hammer forth. Ruger fixed it all no charge and tossed in some blueing.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Kev that not mine- I am computer challenged lol but mine is something like that- you should check them out- real fun thumb busters!

The Ruger's in the vids above is close if not exact to
what I have-

Pretty sure you would like that version of the New Vaquero!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The old Vaquero was never a popular gun, since for what ever reason, Ruger “Super Sized” it. Thus, the New Vaquero came about. However, like all Ruger guns, the Vaquero was an excellent gun and I believe as time goes by they are becoming more desirable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I decided that a stainless New Vaquero in .38/.357 was just the ticket for an affordable shooter to play with. At the time I thought I could always get most of my money back if I didn't like it. Well, I still have it!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have four that I use in CAS. They are a tank. I had one with a 7 1/2" barrel that in a moment of weakness a friend talked me out of so he would have a set. My wife worked at Ruger when they first came out with the Vaquero. At the time they were such hot sellers, employees could not buy one using their discount, so it took another 20+ years to get one. The funny thing is, I somehow got the Ruger catalog the first year they came out and the catalog of the first year of the New Vaquero debut. I am sure many wished they still offered the 7 1/2" barrel and the 44-40.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Zorros, thanks for sharing. I have the same revolver in .45 as well. I love the fact that it can take the heavy loads! My Colt SAA is so slim and trim in comparison😁

A previous owner put checkered grips on mine as well. Your frame is a bit faded compared to mine (at least in the picture) but I like the looks of yours better! Nice of Ruger to do some re-blue. The bluing on mine is pretty nice. I wonder if Ruger did nicer bluing on older guns?

Sorry I don’t have a picture at the ready. It’s currently at another location. I’ll try to get a picture in the next day or two.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The Old Vaquero in 44 mag/ 45 Colt is becoming more sought after by hot rodder's and gents who want a gun that will last into 2525. Prices seemed to be going up on them even prior to Chicom Virus.

Its a hefty piece sure would not want to get Buffaloed by one.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Vaquero myself. I have 2 of the old model both 38-40, 40SW convertibles. Not many of these were made. A blue New Model 38 special, 9mm convertible. Lastly a New Model 45LC. As you can see I replaced the hammers with the lower wider hammer that works better for me for fast draw. Most now sport buffalo horn grips. I would love to find a 45acp cylinder for my NM. I like the look of the Vaquero with the 3.75 " barrel. I hope to add one of them to my collection one day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Was able to get an image. Looks like my frame is similarly faded. After getting a 3rd gen Colt a couple years ago I no longer like the color casing on the Italian clones. I was thinking the Ruger had similar looking color when new so I prefer the faded look on this Ruger.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
A number of years ago I had a stainless Vaquero. Couldn’t give it away. Constantly heard, “It’s too big, I want a Colt size gun” and the death knell, “It won’t fit any of my holsters.” I suppose time heals all wounds (at least it seems to have for the Colt Cowboy) but for me the Vaquero was DOA. I have a chance to buy a blued Vaquero Bisley reworked by Gary Reeder, but I wish it was a New Vaquero.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts