Colt Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A number of years ago I had a stainless Vaquero. Couldn’t give it away. Constantly heard, “It’s too big, I want a Colt size gun” and the death knell, “It won’t fit any of my holsters.” I suppose time heals all wounds (at least it seems to have for the Colt Cowboy) but for me the Vaquero was DOA. I have a chance to buy a blued Vaquero Bisley reworked by Gary Reeder, but I wish it was a New Vaquero.
I bought mine used because i had started reloading 45 colt and i did not want to blow up me and a nice colt SAA With a loading error. The original Vaquero is bulkier than the colts for sure but that bulk has grown on me and the gun has suited my purpose nicely. Just a range gun. Not a concealed or a woods gun. And along those lines i have been eyeing a new mod Blackhawk in .45 with a 4.6 barrel made in 1973. If its around in 2 yrs , and at the price the seller is asking it might be, it will be C&R.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
The Original Model Ruger Bisley Vaquero ( .357 Magnum ) was built using the Ruger Blackhawk frame...hence it's ability to handle the more powerful loadings of any caliber it was chambered in.

And...I got a fitted cowboy rig (in black leather) for my Original Model Ruger Bisley Vaquero...only a month after I bought it in 2005...from my buddy Tom Hancock at Texas Gunslinger Holsters

LINK

I also own an identical one made by Tom for my Colt SAA...in dark brown leather.

Damn Fine Craftsmanship...at affordable prices.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
I bought mine used because i had started reloading 45 colt and i did not want to blow up me and a nice colt SAA With a loading error. The original Vaquero is bulkier than the colts for sure but that bulk has grown on me and the gun has suited my purpose nicely. Just a range gun. Not a concealed or a woods gun. And along those lines i have been eyeing a new mod Blackhawk in .45 with a 4.6 barrel made in 1973. If its around in 2 yrs , and at the price the seller is asking it might be, it will be C&R.
And speaking of "ancient" long barreled Rugers...here's my New Model Super Blackhawk in .44 Remington Magnum...circa 1982:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My TALO Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum 3 3/4” barrel. I prefer a stubby.

6A3B138A-1347-4664-8F27-F1373F407CFD.jpeg

Reactions: OD* and Zorros

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I stumbled onto this .45 about 20ish years ago for around $300, unfired in the box. It was a decent price at the time. Having put many rounds through it over the years, I've been very satisfied. This thread made me realize I've neglected it, favoring the Colt's of late, so maybe it's time for a range trip. It's killed lots of paper, tin cans, a few 30 packs of empty Coors Lights and even put a rabbit in the pot once. I keep meaning to upgrade the stocks to something better than the standard wood, just haven't really found what I'd want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am sure many wished they still offered the 7 1/2" barrel and the 44-40.
Well that blows that wishlist!, have been wanting to get an SAA or this in 357 with a 71/2 barrel now colt seems to only do the 45colt and these don't do 71/2 now so plans are shot.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well that blows that wishlist!, have been wanting to get an SAA or this in 357 with a 71/2 barrel now colt seems to only do the 45colt and these don't do 71/2 now so plans are shot.
Ruger still makes the .38/357 Vaquero. They are about the most common in CAS. In fact, they offer a SASS set but not with a 7 1/2" barrel.

As for the 7 1/2" barrel Vaqueros, they come up from time to time. You have to haunt GB and watch on some of the CAS forums. Since I live by Prescott, home of one of the Ruger plants, there seem to be more Vaqueros on the local market than when I lived in Indiana.

Taylor's and Cimarron still offer a .357 with a 7 1/2" barrel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A number of years ago I had a stainless Vaquero. Couldn’t give it away. Constantly heard, “It’s too big, I want a Colt size gun” and the death knell, “It won’t fit any of my holsters.” I suppose time heals all wounds (at least it seems to have for the Colt Cowboy) but for me the Vaquero was DOA. I have a chance to buy a blued Vaquero Bisley reworked by Gary Reeder, but I wish it was a New Vaquero.
Buy the Gary Reeder Bisley. His guns are sought after and nice. The omv's are getting very hard\ to come by and if you have one and feel the need to part with it selling it is a non issue as rugers are the majority of guns we CAS/SASS shooters use. They basically do not breakdown with the rigors of CAS. Right now rugers in general are worth a premium as hard to get a hold of.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts