Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going through some pictures of holsters I made, and came across some elephant rigs for Colt's that I never posted. Thought I'd share a few.

Here's an OWB for a Colt 1903. This was pretty much a duplicate of the first elephant holster I made (which I did post on here.)

Here's one for a railed 1911.

Low ride Commander with no forward rake.

Here's a duplicate of it. The person who bought the one above later decided he wanted a matching mag pouch, at the same time someone ordered the duplicate, so they look like a matching set, but went their seperate ways after this pic was taken.

This pic shows the color a bit better.

Paul

·
Registered
223 Posts
That some sweet ear work.

Great job Hammerless!!

I like the Yin Yang pattern very much. Unique and stylish.

·
Registered
135 Posts
These look fantastic. How did you burnish the edges to look rolled like that?

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hello Paul;

Nice work, very nice indeed. I don't think I've seen much Elephant leather myself but these look fantastic.

What weight is the other (burgunday color) leather that you use?

Bud

I've been going through some pictures of holsters I made, and came across some elephant rigs for Colt's that I never posted. Thought I'd share a few.

Here's an OWB for a Colt 1903. This was pretty much a duplicate of the first elephant holster I made (which I did post on here.)

Paul

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use an edge beveler, get the edge wet, put some Fiebing's yellow paste saddle soap on, and burnish with a piece of canvas. When it has dried, I rub some parrafin wax on, and burnish that in with some denim.

Bud, the cowhide is 8oz.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Beautiful work! Does the elephant burnish and slick just like cowhide? Did you get your elephant from the remnants Springfield had a few years ago or Roje? Been wanting to get a hide and try it out on some projects. Roje is the only place I've found with the stuff and it's expensive so I wanted to get some feedback before ordering it.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I can attest to Paul's great leather work. He made the 1903 Colt holster for me. Thanks again Paul.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Paul...Here's my daily 1911 carry holster in sharkskin. This pattern is made with hidden belt loops and may be one you would be interested in making. I think it would look great in your burgundy leather/elephant.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CraigC,

Yes, this was from those elephant remnant bags that Springfield had a few years ago. I only bought two, and bang my head against the wall for not buying a ton more. I still have a good bit left, although not much of this particular piece. It was quite a steal, but I was relatively new to leatherwork at the time, and thought deals like that would come along every few months or so. Oops. You can still get some elephant from Springfield. There are a number of other suppliers besides Roje. I'll have to PM you with some sources later today. As far as burnishing goes, no it doeson't burnish like cowhide. I can't really describe it, you'll just have to practice on it when you get some. It's not stiff like vegtan cow, so I hold it at the edge of my workbench while burnishing. If I backed it with some thin cowhide it would be easier.

JCS, glad you like it! I like that sharkskin! I've heard shark is a bit hard to find right now. I haven't made a holster with hidden loops yet, as nobody has asked me to. I did build a prototype of an avenger and incorporated a hidden loop like that on the wing of it, but it was just scrap belly leather, and I really couldn't tell if there was any advantage to that style with such poor leather. What kind of shooter do you have in there? I can't tell from the pics. I see it has Wilson sights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts