Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\"Verified Proof\" stamp

I recently bought a Colt Python in very nice condition. It has the Colt's "Verified Proof" stamp on the left front of the trigger guard. This is the upside-down triangle with the letters "VP" inside it. The fellow I bought my Python from swears that the gun has never been back to the factory for re-work. However, I have come across several allusions in print to the fact that New Service revolvers that were returned to the factory for re-work were routinely stamped with this mark. Did Colt at some point decide to put this mark on all new guns and to stamp it on re-worked guns that pre-dated this decision, or are all VP-stamped guns reworks?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Re: \"Verified Proof\" stamp

The verified proof mark has been stamped on Colt handguns for quite some time. I collect 1903 & 1908 Colt Pocket Hammerless pistols and that mark appear at least from the 1920's.

I have a second generation SAA that Colt refinished for me in 1976 and they stamped an asterisk on the trigger bow to indicate that it was a factory reblue.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert W. Simms:
I recently bought a Colt Python in very nice condition. It has the Colt's "Verified Proof" stamp on the left front of the trigger guard. This is the upside-down triangle with the letters "VP" inside it. The fellow I bought my Python from swears that the gun has never been back to the factory for re-work. However, I have come across several allusions in print to the fact that New Service revolvers that were returned to the factory for re-work were routinely stamped with this mark. Did Colt at some point decide to put this mark on all new guns and to stamp it on re-worked guns that pre-dated this decision, or are all VP-stamped guns reworks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colt began using the "Verified Proof" mark about 1904. Several publications show this date. It is about the time that Colt changed frame styles on their Model 1895 DA revolvers and on the New Service revolvers. Early guns that were reworked at the factory generally will have an "*" or and "&" on the trigger guard web. Later reworks will have a "tag" number stamped under the grips or in some hidden place that corresponds to the workorder number. The "VP" was the final acceptance mark that verified the revolver was targeted and the fit and finish was correct. There was generally an "assembler's number" stamped somewhere close by depending on the model.Hope that helps! Bob Best

·
Registered
573 Posts

Bob Best: Are you the same Bob Best who wrote that fabulous article in the CCA's Rampant Colt magazine about the Colt .38 martial DA revolvers? If so, I want to compliment you! That article was the single best article I have ever read on this series (and much better than what is in Wilson's big book), and I find myself referring to it frequently. Someone at the last CCA meeting in Tampa mentioned that they thought you were writing a book on the DA .38 guns. Is that true? If so, please put me in line for a copy. And welcome to the Forum!
Charlie Flick

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ordnanceguy:
Bob Best: Are you the same Bob Best who wrote that fabulous article in the CCA's Rampant Colt magazine about the Colt .38 martial DA revolvers? If so, I want to compliment you! That article was the single best article I have ever read on this series (and much better than what is in Wilson's big book), and I find myself referring to it frequently. Someone at the last CCA meeting in Tampa mentioned that they thought you were writing a book on the DA .38 guns. Is that true? If so, please put me in line for a copy. And welcome to the Forum!
Charlie Flick
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charlie, I am the same Bob Best. Thank you for the kind words on my article from CCA's "Rampant Colt" magazine! I am working on a book on the early Colt DA Model 1889 & 1895 series revolvers. It covers their development and use and all of the different variations from 1889 to 1908. The material is supported by Government documents from the National Archives, Colt's historical shipping records and detailed documentation from a database of revolver information that I have collected over the years. Lots of research was done and there are numerous photos showing the details. The draft manuscript is at Andrew Mowbray-publisher's now. Thanks again! Bob

·
Registered
573 Posts

Hey Bob: Well, that is certainly good news for those of us who fancy and collect the old martial Colt DAs. Reliable, detailed info on them has been almost non-existent until your Rampant Colt article came out. I predict that your book will be a great success, as it addresses an area of Colt production that has received scant attention in the past. (Compare it to what Colt autos have had written about them!)

Anyway, I apologize for highjacking this thread over my excitement about the new book. That is news that all Colt fans should be happy about. And Bob, please stick around these parts as we can use your expertise here!

Charlie Flick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts