Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a new Colt Defender back in February after taking it to the range for the first time I had a few issues with it, one being the brass hitting me in the head. I decided to send it back to Colt BIG MISTAKE they received the defender on 2/29. Today is 5/27 and Colt has still not touched it. I have called many times to check on the status of the repair and keep hearing the same thing it’s waiting for the gunsmith to look at it. A friend of mine just sent in a 34 year old RUGER Blackhawk .357 NOT UNDER WARRANTY because it had a loose cylinder and was not locking up tight. RUGER received it on 5/14 and sent it back repaired for FREE on 5/22 that is only an 8 day turnaround, they also removed all the scratches from the barrel, it’s stainless steel. This Defender is a $900 gun under warranty and after 3 months they have not even looked at it yet. I was told many times from Colt that warranty repairs come first so if that’s the case what is that saying about their quality if they are backed up that far with warranty repairs? I asked for a refund or trade it for another gun and was told they can’t do that. If and when I ever get this $900 gun back that I had to work hard to get I will sell it and never get another Colt again. I will also make sure to let everyone at my 400+ member gun club, aware of my experience with Colt.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Is this common with 1911s? Every one I've had or fired it seems like I get brass on top of the head now and then. Not in the face but it seems like the brass goes straight up and sometimes hits me right on the noggin. Even my 1918.

Anyway, Brent Turchi is a member here, bjt72, and he's the Custom Shop and Product Service Supervisor at Colt. Give him a chance and he will help you.

Oh, and welcome to the coltforum.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you join the Ruger forum to find out about that 1 person that got screwed over by Ruger? I belong to the S&W forum also and I read the same thing from people who join the forum just once so they can bash the Name.

I am not being rude and I understand that you work hard for your money just as I do and I would be over the top P'offed if your circumstance happened to me.

How many times have you contacted Colt since 2/29? Is brass hitting you in the head the only issue? How many rds. did you put throught the Defender? Did you try other name brands of cartridges?
Perhaps another member here has more info than I do.

Sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would just like Colt to make this right, I worked hard to get this $900 gun I don't have. The brass was hitting me in the forehead hard 3 times out of 40 rounds not on the top of my head. None of my other auto's have ever done that. Thanks Twaits for your response I am new to these forums and not sure how to message bjt72.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I would just like Colt to make this right, I worked hard to get this $900 gun I don't have. The brass was hitting me in the forehead hard 3 times out of 40 rounds not on the top of my head. None of my other auto's have ever done that. Thanks Twaits for your response I am new to these forums and not sure how to message bjt72.
You can message him here. On the left side of the screen you will see the link.

View Profile: Bjt72 - Colt Forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have contacted Colt at least 6 times if not more. The top of the barrel appears to be cracked as well. Gun was shooting 4 inches to the left with 3 different shooters trying it.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Barrel is cracked? That's odd if it really does have a crack in it. If this is a factory defect I'm sure Colt will make it right.
Are you shooting decent factory loaded ammo?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was factory ammo I was using. The what appears to be a crack could be a bad milling job but I felt it should be looked at.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To late now, but did you take the Colt back to the gun store you bought it from?

My XDm .40 (no longer have) would hit me with brass on occasion. My current auto (FN FNX 40) does the same thing. Mostly on top of my head and I don't have hair so it burns too. I wear a hat now. Problem solved, the burn part anyways. I have shot many other auto's and all have hit me in the head on occasion.

The crack or poor milling is another problem all it's own.
I would call weekly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also had a XDM in 9mm never got hit with brass but I did sell it and got a Beretta M9A1 to replace it. Love the Beretta

·
Registered
967 Posts
Topshot, in my opinon, you came to the right place for someone seeking information on a Colt firearm. If not here, then where? If you look at some of the posts you will find they seek nothing other than attention. So, I am sure you will receive the assistance you need. Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome topshot,

I've had a few guns back to Colt's over the years. Probably half a dozen or so. It didn't take long to figure out that they work on their schedule, not mine. Turn around time was a might better when I wouldn't get them all riled up with my impatience.

I'm not discounting your claim to a speedy warranty fix, just remember that they are swamped with business right now, probably in all departments. I doubt if calling every week will help your situation any.

When you do get your pistol back I hope you decide to keep it, recognizing that Colt's still makes some of the finest handguns in the world. And besides, where are you going to find such a nice group of folks as those here to hang with?

As for the empties foreheading ya...have you tried the "gangbanger hold"? :bang_wall: (sorry couldn't resist)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I saw that this was happining to someone else also with a Defender. I don't remember where I saw it, but the gentleman in this case stated that the brass hit him in the forehead hard enough to draw blood. Claimed he had sent it back to Colt several times and no fix. Said he was going ton sell the defender and move on. I just picked up a Defender a few weeks ago and can't be happier!! It came with Crimson Trace grips and shoots beautifully. I was even getting good groups at 25yds and up close at 7yds it was fantastic. If any brass hit me in the head, I didn't feel it through my thich skull. I just hate to get a hot brass down my shirt!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had 2 different Colt reps tell me they only have 3 gunsmiths maybe they need to hire more? A company that size with 3 gunsmiths. One of the 4 brass that hit me left a knot about the size of pencil eraser no blood though my wife even noticed it when I came home. I could see it drawing blood if the open end of the brass hit first.

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
Don't hold your gun sideways to avoid ejected brass. This hold position is emplemented by those who think that is the correct hold because it comes in the box that way. Sideways. Anyway. I'm no gunsmith but there are some on here that can tell you exactly what is going on....ejector....etc. You've come to the right place to get your issue resolved and your gun back possibly a little quicker now. Keep smiling because they will get it fixed. Sorry you had bad customer experience.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
I was getting hit in the forehead with my .45 Officers ACP, never with my 9mm New Agent. My gun smith happend to be at the range one day and I told him about the problem. He loaded it up and shot about 40 rounds with it and the brass was flying perfectly up and out to the right. In my case it was just me. The small .45's have a lot of recoil and I needed to hold it much tighter then my larger .45's. I am sure Colt will get your pistol fixed and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I had 2 different Colt reps tell me they only have 3 gunsmiths maybe they need to hire more? A company that size with 3 gunsmiths. One of the 4 brass that hit me left a knot about the size of pencil eraser no blood though my wife even noticed it when I came home. I could see it drawing blood if the open end of the brass hit first.
Actually Colt isn't as big a company as you might think. I think they actually have less than 200 employees now. It's not that huge 19th century factory in Harford anymore. It's considerably smaller.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I had a Series 70 GM 45 that would smack in the forehead each time I fired it. Carried it to dealer who sent it for repairs. I do not know it he sent it to Colt or an authorized repair service. When the handgun returned, I loaded a magazine and the first 4 rounds ejected properly. After that, all ejected cases returned to hitting me in the forehead again. Finally, I traded it off.

My last 2 Colt GM 45's have been perfect in every way. All of the ones I've fired has been.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts