Colt Forum banner

"Very Special" New Service ?!? for sale on GB

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Blokey 
#1 ·
Saw this listed on Gun Broker.
Asked seller about serial #,he said 101714.
That puts it at 1916 as listed.
Seems to be a rebarrel /reblue.
What do you fellows think ?

Colt "New Service" Revolver : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

High bidder on this might be paying a bit more than he thinks.

Caveat empetor

#6 ·
The barrel is post-WWI while the frame is pre-WWI - so much for "This gun is BRAND NEW in original box and has never been fired and the cylinder never rotated". It may be refinished, but you sure can't tell from the photo.

What bugs me is I can't tell if this guy is just clueless, or malignant.

Buck

#14 ·
The barrel is post-WWI while the frame is pre-WWI . . .
Not only is the barrel post WWI, by the front sight, it looks like one of the Post WWII replacements made well after New service production ended. I had a friend who re-barreled his with one like that he got new in the late 70's.

#12 ·
Asked seller about the grips and if he had more pics. He replied back that he was not sure if grips were plastic or wood.
No reply about more pictures tho.
Not sure about seller. He replied to my two questions fairly quickly.He has minimal feedback.
The reference to Jesus is a big red flag.
Sort of like
"Do not worry,I'm a religious person I'd never rip you off".

#15 ·
up196,

I too think the barrel is post WWII, but since I don't know what was engraved on the barrel, I couldn't be sure. That's why I called it post WWI since the barrel was bolstered, and I have seen at least one pre-WWII barrel with that front sight special-ordered. In any account, it was a parts gun as far as I'm concerned.

Buck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.