Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have some great threads on western hats, boots, saddles and spurs. Now I'd like to hear about what vintage vintage style western vests people have in their collection and or use today. I had the wool vest pictured below hand made for me about 25 years ago. I used it for about 10 years while I was still involved in Cowboy Action Shooting. With regret it doesn't fit anymore...but i'm pleased to say that's only because I'm a hell of a lot more fit than I was when I had the vest made!!

I've always admired the utility and practicality of vests. They can be used as an additional layer for warmth and the pockets provide extra means to carry items that you might want to have handy. I always found the lower pockets an effective way to carry an extra ten rounds of .44 WCF on each side!

I've been on the look out for a new vest for some time but still haven't found anything as nice as my old vest. I want something that can be worn for casual dress, on horseback or while in the field. The imported stuff that most CAS vendors carry doesn't do anything for me and the vests that most Western clothing outfitters stock have an
"over-sized" fit to them.They seem to built with the idea of being a stand alone garment, not worn with a jacket like the vests of old.

I'd be interested to learn of any suggestions or hear about your vintage vest stories.

Charcoal Vest.jpg

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
John Wesley Hardin supposedly had a custom vest with two holsters sewed on. In the 1980s I made my interpretation of such an outfit. Elmer Keith mentions Hasrdin's in "Sixguns". It is super comfortable and the guns don't wobble. I often wore it at cowboy shoots, sometimes with breaktop S&W .44s. But I can just barely squeeze into it now. It started out as a plain modern thrift shop suit vest.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hey guys give Sheplers western wear a try.They have wool vests. fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah, a vest is a must have for every shootist and ranch hand. These two, from Schaefer and River Junction, are both made in the US and the quality is outstanding. What else could one expect !!??

Mel
Thanks Mel. I like the vests from Schaefer but they aren't as fitted as I would like. Some of the vests at River Junction though appear to be just what I'm in need of!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I have a variety of vests ranging from a canvas like material to a dress wool with fancy buttons. They are mostly by Wahmaker or Skully. Historical Emporium is my go-to source nowadays.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have gotten good mileage out of a brown wool Filson vest, left breast pocket has slots for 3 shotgun shells, right is plain, and hand warmer pockts on each side. Buttons are big, easy in cold weather even with gloves.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
You guys have already named most of what I have and really like. A few others I like have been Wyoming Traders and Outbacktrading Company. Another couple that are good vests, the first on the fancy side is Frontier Clothing Co. (Frontier Clothing Co.) and a nice vest in wool that would likely do what you require can be had from Stormy Kromer.

I went back and reread Buffalo Hunters question/comment. My thought would be for a really nice vest you can wear to church or on a horse Frontier Clothing is really nice. Nice enough I don't use them on a horse. But some beautiful wool fabrics and they can be had all wool, no satin back. Wyoming Traders makes some very similar, all wool, and less money. Still nice enough to wear to church or out to dinner and up to a day's work on a horse without busting the bank. I've got a black pinstriped wool one that I really like. Something like this..photo is from their online catalog

Our own Jersey Kid wrote this on Frontier Clothing...

Old Frontier Clothing Company

this also looks good

https://www.outbacktrading.com/men-s-montana-vest-2575-brn-md?
utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Outback+Trading+Products+-+Remarketing&utm_term=Remarketed+-+Product+Viewer&utm_content=Carousel+Ad+-+Product+Viewed

Big fan of Outback's garments. I have a nice twill vest form them that I went through our fence on. Beat me up some and broke the fence. But just a scuff on the back of the vest where it hit the fence. No clue what the actual material is but pretty wind proof, soft hand and tough. Thing still looks new after a year of hard use. It was on their close out page for $19.00.

Here is another on sale, that I'd bet is a pretty good vest for the money.

https://www.outbacktrading.com/mens-vests/men-s-jessie-vest-29785-blk-md

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Not exactly western stuff but almost all Wool, made in the USA and really nice and they back their product. The brand is Ibex out of Vermont and they do have some vests but know their stuff runs to the more fitted size style and isn’t cheap. I also think Filson is very nice as well. btw, no affiliation just my two cents on a good USA made product.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts