Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Right there shows you why the production rate is what it is and the cost is what it is.
How many polishers do you think it would take to pump out a 100 SAA per week.
Love this kind of video.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They built approximately 14,700 in 1874 so it is not that impressive. That was using water powered tools.
You're talking about a steam engine? That's how I read it, with belts running through the whole factory powering all the milling machines, polishing wheels, lathes, etc.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Right there shows you why the production rate is what it is and the cost is what it is. How many polishers do you think it would take to pump out a 100 SAA per week.Love this kind of video.
That entire frame and grip strap polishing shown took one minute and 15 seconds, and it looks like the video showed the entire polishing of those parts. The barrel and cylinder would be easier, not so may angles. What they showed is how quickly and easily the polishing is done.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
That entire frame and grip strap polishing shown took one minute and 15 seconds, and it looks like the video showed the entire polishing of those parts. The barrel and cylinder would be easier, not so may angles. What they showed is how quickly and easily the polishing is done.
But this wasn't start to finish polishing. And the video was edited. It takes much more than 1:15.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
But this wasn't start to finish polishing. And the video was edited. It takes much more than 1:15.
Sure looks like start to finish, I saw him fine polish every part of the frame and straps. The polish of the rough part is easier, this final fine polish is what takes the most time. With modern equipment it is not the laborious, time consuming process that some people fantasize.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
With the proper equipment and after you have done a few thousand of them it does't take very long at all. It is getting the skill required to get to this level that takes the time.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I know the lead polisher from USFA and he was a former cs employee. I believe his work to be considered some of the best in the country according to the master engravers that worked behind him. A.A.White, Kies, etc. I have watched him polish. It’s not a fast process regardless of how good the equipment is/was especially to his level of detail. I am fortunate to have seen and get to see some of these guys do what they do and it’s impressive because they make it look easy even if it isn’t fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts